Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DA 556 handguard removal

Quote Originally Posted by Ionized Odds View Post
    BUT! Be warned! When I did mine those things were so tightly fit IT WAS A PAIN THE THE ASS
    Just got to eat a little spinach before compressing that delta ring!
    Buy em cheap, stack em deep!

Quote Originally Posted by Outwest1213 View Post
    Just got to eat a little spinach before compressing that delta ring!
    Yep its tough but is doable. I replaced my factory hand guard with a MOE, had to use a die grinder and remove a small amount of plastic from around the front of one of the halves so it would slide into the front site block. Had a buddy help do it, a lot easier when one person can compress delta ring and the other can fit the hand guard. Not to concerned about the trimming......it fits super tight.

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Or some sandpaper on a flat surface to take a few thousands off. Real PITA to get off and worse to get back on hence some minor adjustment. I use a set of long handle pliers with rubberized grips to hold the ring down.

wheeler engineering and other companies sell a tool to compress the delta ring. or just use two sticks. If you have to remove the front sight there is major fitment issues and I would be looking into that. I have done a few norinco/dominion with no issues. If the new hand guards are plastic they will typically need fitment regardless of which gun its going on
    Id Rather Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

You can use a pair of long pliers, put the grip over the delta ring and use downward pressure with your leg and other hand. Delta ring I'll go back a lot easier. This will save buying the delta ring tool

I was punching them out right to left because the head of the pins are much larger on the left side, do they still come out left to right in this case?

So, I've got the same question as the OP however, the big ring at the receiver end of the quad rail handguard appears to be threaded onto the handguard. When turned anticlockwise (as looking from the top, muzzle away) the ring tightens against the receiver and threads are visible on the end of the handguard, and when turned clockwise, it tightens up against the handguard. So I don't think a compression approach will work on this one.

Does this mean I have to remove the front sight and unscrew the handguard to remove it?

Thanks for the tips on dremmeling the pins - the rifle came to me with the pins are peened on both ends - and lots of black spray paint to hide some rough handling.
    "If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you can better serve your country by living somewhere else." -Stompin Tom Connors

Hard times create strong men; Strong men create good times; Good times create weak men; Weak men create hard times. Steady up...

CGN Regular
    I'd love to see the size of the guy they have put the pins in.

I've taken apart dozens of ARs from other brands without issue.

At minimum with Norinco/DA guns now, I heat it with a MAP torch first, then try it; if that doesn't work I drill out the pins.

BANNED
    Not sure about the DA556, but I've encountered some pretty stubborn taper pins on other rifles and this was my solution:

Broad side of a hammer up against the pins. Then smack the $hit out of the other side of the hammer. This should get the pins started.

Once the pins start to move, I go to a standard punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionized Odds View Post
    BUT! Be warned! When I did mine those things were so tightly fit IT WAS A PAIN THE THE ASS
    Wheeler Delta Series Delta Ring Tool makes it a snap.
    CCFR — CSSA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast