Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me find places to make my shoulder sore in near or around Swift Current.

Question Please help me find places to make my shoulder sore in near or around Swift Current.

Hello fellow CGN'rs I decided to post this question here as I am clueless as to where it properly belongs. I am in the Swift Current area working for a few months and my trigger finger has developed the most severe itch. Also my safe is starting to get a little stuffed. I am looking for preferably a public range that is closer than the one I have membership to In Regina. I am far to polite to impinge upon the residencies and property of other folk to go shooting. Or as a last resort is there some Hovel hole on Crown land that is appropriate for shooting I have 30-06,7.62X39,12ga, 22LR non restricted all around. Any tips and advice would be appreciated especially if they are not drive to Nevil (they have a phantom gun range that may or may not exist depending on the level of sunlight present.)

BANNED
    Hi. Being polite is the quickest way to get permission, but you have to ask. There any gun shops in town? Ask about clubs there. Highly unlikely to be any public ranges, but a shop would know that too.
    There's a gun show there 5 & 6 April as well. Don't ask me where though.
    This is from 2010. A 10 second net search. http://www.saskatchewanhunts.ca/foru...ead.php?t=2491

Hey Atman, there is a public range on private property just west of town, I used to live there and that was sometimes the best spot to go. When you look southwest from the pioneer terminal on south railway street there is a tower, about 2 miles , down that same road is a small 'range', it is on the west side of the road. Please be mindful and do your best to keep area clean as it may disappear as once in the past.

Due to my lack of being 50 the individuals running the local gun shop where about as helpful at finding a gun range or place to shoot as they would be finding bigfoot. I also checked with the RCMP and they were rather clueless considering they are the people that really like to regulate these sort of things. Also I used Google but to no avail. Strangley enough the city claims to have a rifle range but the RCMP said that all it is good for is handguns and archery.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Patt08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMMY1 View Post
    Hey Atman, there is a public range on private property just west of town, I used to live there and that was sometimes the best spot to go. When you look southwest from the pioneer terminal on south railway street there is a tower, about 2 miles , down that same road is a small 'range', it is on the west side of the road. Please be mindful and do your best to keep area clean as it may disappear as once in the past.
    Is that place even still open? I drive by it on the trains like 5 times a week for the last 3 years and have NEVER seen anyone there.
    |CCFR|

I just drove out there today it was a little treacherous due to the water and I did not get out all the way but I believe I got to the spot most likely to be conducive to shooting and found nothing bummer. I have heard that the town of Morse has a range but I called and no one picked up I think I will try heading out there next Saturday and ask around the local co-op for better info. I am just so surprised that swift has nowhere to shoot considering how backwoods the place is and It is really beneficial to have an official/ proper place to shoot as it keeps people from trespassing where they are not supposed to be. One of the numerous "joys" of Swift having nowhere to shoot and a gun shop whose owner is a pain in the arse. (Because if I owned a gun shop in a place without a range I would sure want to find /buy/rent/facilitate an appropriate stretch of land to allow clientele to carry on there shooting activities thus increasing my business. Because assuming we all can go mount a milk cow and go plinking behind a barn is short sighted.

I must say I attempted to get out to the place that was described by the grain terminal today and it was still a little wet. I took a long route back to swift only to see near the rail tracks a what looked like a small range along the tracks I did not attempt to access it but it did look quite tempting. I wonder if that is not what you were seeing Patt08.

Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    Is that place even still open? I drive by it on the trains like 5 times a week for the last 3 years and have NEVER seen anyone there.
    I saw what looks like a shooting range by the rail tracks that looked unique. Rummy PM'd me and gave me turn by turn directions and wouldn't you know it but there is a small but modest (and moist) range located in a little hovel off a stretch of land. I am planning on setting out with a 12ga and some of the finest ammo Cambodian Tire has in stock and I will report back on my progress. Thanks for all the tips.

any news on this range? I want to go shooting this weekend and am new to SC.
    OP'd by jbrow397:
    We held court on the Internet and as usual, all parties are held in contempt.

I just sent you back a PM my official recommendation would be join the Ranger Lake Gun Club. Yes there is some non official shooting spots but during hunting seasons I would stay away from as shooting could be misconstrued as hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast