Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norinco CQA, painted receiver?

Norinco CQA, painted receiver?

Hey I just bought a second hand CQ-A-1. The previous owner bought it from Frontier December 2012, I believe. It was imported by Lever Arms.

It has what seems to be black paint chipping off all over it.

Is it one of the older ones with the painted receivers?

I want to take an SOS pad to it or something to remove this crust, but I don't want to find bare metal, do you know if they are supposed to be anodized?

Thanks

BANNED
    Yeah, the older ones were painted and known for all the paint chipping off....maybe try a home-brew parker job if you want a decent finish or try blasting it with krylon but that will probably chip off eventually too.

Depending on what city you're in, I would strip it down to the bare receiver and have it bead blasted and anodized. I don't know how easy the possession and ATT would work but there might even be a gun shop that can do it. If that's too much, there's lots of information online for anodizing parts yourself but probably not worth the outlay

Quote Originally Posted by gixxstar View Post
    Depending on what city you're in, I would strip it down to the bare receiver and have it bead blasted and anodized. I don't know how easy the possession and ATT would work but there might even be a gun shop that can do it. If that's too much, there's lots of information online for anodizing parts yourself but probably not worth the outlay
    If by city you mean small town in the middle of nowhere, not happening lol. I'll see what some light steel wool does, but I'll probably dura/arma/cera coat it. Some sort of coat.
    Last edited by Seven65; 03-13-2014 at 11:45 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kayser Sose's Avatar
    Norinco paint flaking off? Sounds like a recipe for tacticool FDE smudgy paint job remedy!

....and no silly ATT required
    Last edited by Kayser Sose; 03-13-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    bullets, powder, primers, and case lots of CCI Blazer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer wayupnorth's Avatar
    while none of my CQ's are chipping i may take a hammer to one and tell the wife its chipping, then send it down to Armacoat in EDM and have them do a paint job on it.

something about a white AR with black furniture that seems appealing to me.
    Things either are what they appear to be;
    or they neither are, nor appear to be;
    or they are, and do not appear to be;
    or they are not, and yet appear to be.

CGN frequent flyer Pistolwhiptricks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayser Sose View Post
    Norinco paint flaking off? Sounds like a recipe for tacticool FDE smudgy paint job remedy!

....and no silly ATT required
    But I always heard that underneath the painted Norinco CQ's it is anodized? Even my CQ had what looked like paint overspray in some area's. CLP made it flake off no problem. Maybe Norinco figured out the painted one's weren't prefered and tried to remove most of the paint from some batches.
    Last edited by Pistolwhiptricks; 03-13-2014 at 10:40 PM.

A perfect example of why you should buy a $500 AR. Why buy crap for $500 and have nothing but grief, when you could buy good for $1000, or great for $1500?

Have it picked up, and I believe you send a copy of your registration with it and then the person picks it up at home and does the job... You get the point.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    A perfect example of why you should buy a $500 AR. Why buy crap for $500 and have nothing but grief, when you could buy good for $1000, or great for $1500?
    Because not everyone wants to spend $1000-$1500 when they can get one for $500. If you want pretty things buy something else, guns are meant to be used and the finish should be at the bottom of the list of priorities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast