Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Score slug 32

I bought lots and lots of these slugs. I often see the wad fly off randomly when shooting. Doesn't seem to affect accuracy though I don't expect much out of a shotgun at 50m. I don't think comparing them to Challengers or Brenneke slugs is fair but they are decent.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post

Score 1 1/8 oz slug fired into a block of wood at 5 yds (much tougher than any game). MV from 18.5" 870 was 1300 fps. Recovered weight of slug was 415.1 grs, wad weighed 55.3 grs for a total of 470.4 grs. 1 1/8 oz is about 492 grs. Wad was attached to slug after impact. Most name brand rifled slugs are soft lead, the BPI Thug Slug that Score loads is harder. Soft rifled slugs fired into wood always fragmentate and often "donut" out around the hollow point and break apart into multiple pieces. The Score slug stayed together as good as a hunting bullet. The hollow point did not donut out at all. These will work excellent on game animals and I'd bet penetration will rival Brennekes of similar weight and velocity. They've been uber reliable and quite accurate for me in all my shotguns and a shooting buddies shotguns. They can't be beat for both value AND performance together. Brennekes might out penetrate them a little bit but for a few dollars more per round.
    I know exactly what you mean, Brobee223 on youtube (and from around here Im pretty sure?) has a video of the Winchester SuperX slug into gelatin, and thats exactly what it did. The brenneke he tested hardly deformed at all, but then again he was shooting gelatin, not a block of wood...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, Brobee223 on youtube (and from around here Im pretty sure?) has a video of the Winchester SuperX slug into gelatin, and thats exactly what it did. The brenneke he tested hardly deformed at all, but then again he was shooting gelatin, not a block of wood...
    Brobee223 does excellent videos. I wonder if he'd be interested in trying the Score slugs? I'd like to see how they stack up in gelatin to other slugs.
    WTB full semiautomatic assault rifles, double barrel extended magazine clips, 30 magazine clips (half second or better), shoulder things that go up and high power ammo that can go through walls.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Heres the difference between Brenneke and Score

SCORE with wadding attached

Score cavity

Brenneke cavity

Brenneke is more solid lead than score- you can only fit a small portion of the Score wadding into the Brenneke

That Brenneke was recovered from a block of firewood, showing minimal deformation.

What does all this mean? Well, not much if you hunt deer or black bears with slugs. The SCORE slugs seem accurate and more than capable. They wouldn't be a bad choice for bear defense, either, as they seem to be a bit tougher than Foster style slugs.

Hunting larger animals or for grizzly/polar bear defense, I would want to use Brenneke or Challengers, that have a larger chunk of solid lead for deeper penetration. Not that the SCORE wouldn't work, it's sorta the difference between using Barnes TSX bullets and regular cup and core bullets.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Thanks for the pics and info GH, that makes for a pretty clear comparison.
    WTB full semiautomatic assault rifles, double barrel extended magazine clips, 30 magazine clips (half second or better), shoulder things that go up and high power ammo that can go through walls.

Any slugs on sale for Black Friday Kate?

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MG4A6 View Post
    Any slugs on sale for Black Friday Kate?
    Possibly! We'll see in two weeks time

kate
    what's the actual or published velocity of the 1oz mild recoil Score Slugs. thanks

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345