Hi Point Firearms

DrFunk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey,

Brand new shooter here. I was looking into getting a handgun (probably a 9mm or .22lr) but the price of the HiPoint .40 S&W caught my eye.

Of course, I'm highly skeptical that a gun for $250 would be good, but it still has me wondering. And from what I've seen from YouTube reviews, the gun may not be that bad.

Your thoughts or experiences with HiPoint?

The triggers are as ugly as the gun is. I honestly wouldn't shoot one again if it was given to me.

If you just want a cheap blaster, a Tokarev TT-33 is leagues better, IMO.

I should add, so as not to appear a terse jerk, that if you're brand new, you're best to start with the .22. If you can find a used Ruger Mk-II target model with the bull barrel, you'll be we'll served. The Hi Point and the Tokarev will teach you bad habits, most likely.

Get a .22, talk to guys at the range, and you might be able to shoot a variety of pistols to help you decide on what you like.

The Hi Point really is crap, though...

I agree with Mark II, buy a .22 for $300 and then try a bunch of other people's guns until one makes you wanna spend a lot more!

The triggers are as ugly as the gun is. I honestly wouldn't shoot one again if it was given to me.

If you just want a cheap blaster, a Tokarev TT-33 is leagues better, IMO.
:agree: Hi points are absolute garbage. You'd be better off buying a Norinco, which is still garbage but at least they look better. TT-33 for $250 you can get basiclly a brand new gun that is as cheap (almost) to shoot as a .22lr. Do some research, watch some youtube.

For $40 more than a highpoint you can get a Zastava M70A from tradex, basically a Tokarev in 9mm.
http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/zastava-m70a-tt-pistols-9mm-para

I grabbed a Tokarev as a first pistol, a Beretta Model 71 in .22lr as my second one. I've shot about 800 rounds with the Tokarev, and almost 4000+ with the Beretta. Sure it doesn't have the BOOM of the Tok, but spending an afternoon plinking 22lr for $30 is great.

Don't listen to what people are saying about Hi-Point guns. They're surprisingly durable, and at least 80% reliable.
Trust my life to it? Not a chance. Fun at the range? Sure.

Durable they may be, but I think the Hi Point is more of a poor mans bedside home defence pistol for the US market than a serious range toy. If it jams you could beat a home invader to death with it.

I forgot about those 9mm Tokarevs. Might look into one of those myself.

LOL. The high point is a gun, I bought one just for the fun of it. if you are new a .22 is a must have for training and a cheap shooter.
Back to the high point. they are heavy but very accurate. durable I have about 8000 rounds down it's pipe on the .45HP
not one FTE and one FTF as my fault on reloading. If you can shoot that gun well as it does have a not nice trigger and heavy and slippery grip.
you will shoot very well when you can afford the gun you want. But do not listen to anybody about it is a crap gun. I have sig's, kimbers. para ord.
rugers and I have had problems with all. not one with the HP! I am a 1911 fan, actually never had problems with my browning HP's except for sighting in. Also the High point is definitely not a holster gun. but if that is what your budget permits go for it.
there is no mods also so what you get is what you get. Norcs are great for a bit more money and are able to mod them. I have shot them and actually liked them. another last thing about the high power. when you decide that you do not want it anymore it will be hard to sell for 150.00
I will never sell mine. use it to show newbies and outshoot the know it all's. happy target shooting and welcome to the endless sport of addiction.

I also own one, thinking most of the review come from those who don't. They are heavy and ugly but my JHP .45 goes bang every time and is quite accurate. Don't let others reviews change your mind if you want one. I do not shoot mine much anymore but I have no regrets about spending the $250 on it, has paid for itself in tons of fun at the range. A grip sleeve solves the slippery plastic grip also.

LOL. The high point is a gun, I bought one just for the fun of it. if you are new a .22 is a must have for training and a cheap shooter.
Back to the high point. they are heavy but very accurate. durable I have about 8000 rounds down it's pipe on the .45HP
not one FTE and one FTF as my fault on reloading. If you can shoot that gun well as it does have a not nice trigger and heavy and slippery grip.
you will shoot very well when you can afford the gun you want. But do not listen to anybody about it is a crap gun. I have sig's, kimbers. para ord.
rugers and I have had problems with all. not one with the HP! I am a 1911 fan, actually never had problems with my browning HP's except for sighting in. Also the High point is definitely not a holster gun. but if that is what your budget permits go for it.
there is no mods also so what you get is what you get. Norcs are great for a bit more money and are able to mod them. I have shot them and actually liked them. another last thing about the high power. when you decide that you do not want it anymore it will be hard to sell for 150.00
I will never sell mine. use it to show newbies and outshoot the know it all's. happy target shooting and welcome to the endless sport of addiction.
You own a HI POINT and a Browning HI POWER, did they spell them different on your guns? LOL

Don't listen to what people are saying about Hi-Point guns. They're surprisingly durable, and at least 80% reliable.
Trust my life to it? Not a chance. Fun at the range? Sure.

had one 1n .45acp. tuff as nails, eat anything it was fed, never ever cleaned it, put 5-6000 thru it, the odd ftf. Ugly yes, but good value for the bux. good entry gun in the calibre of your choice.

I have had a Hi Point and it didnt sit well with me....the catch release on the slide was ineffective....very bad safety issue....ended up selling it within a month...bought a Norinco Np22....for the xtra few bucks, it was well worth it

yup, good fun,accurate cheap and reliable. where do you get a grip sleeve for it? I want one to try.

Hogue's product is called the handall, I have one from Tuff1 that fits really well. Couldn't find the handall in stock when I decided to try it.

Triggers on new firearms don't matter. All of 'em need a trigger job. Anyway, Hi-Point firearms aren't known for quality. You generally get what you pay for. Although there are some firearms that are no better than anything else, but you pay more for the name. And even some of the high priced name brands put out junkers by times.

Back
Top Bottom