Thread: Flying with firearms? Luggage tracker.

Expired Business Member

Flying with firearms? Luggage tracker.

I fly quite a bit around with my rifle, and just picked up this luggage tracking device. I'll put this in my Pelican case along with my rifle, and it's designed to send me a text and SMS when the plane lands, so I can be sure of where my gear is. I've only once had an airline misplace my rifle, but I expect should provide some peace of mind when traveling.

http://www.trakdot.com

I just activated it today, and so far it's picked up that I'm close to my own airport:

CGN Regular
    If im guessing correctly, you put your sim card in this device and it uses your data plan to track correct?

Expired Business Member
    I was wondering that too, but no, that's not necessary. It somehow communicates with cell phone towers to communicate back to the server. I was worried about data roaming in the US, but no sim card / data plan is required. There is a $13 / year subscription fee for it work though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Avalonthas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shak541 View Post
    If im guessing correctly, you put your sim card in this device and it uses your data plan to track correct?
    There is a SIM card integrated into the device, based on GSM technology, so it will work in virtually 90% of airports and cities around the world as they will have cell towers and most cellular companies either offer GSM service or are backwards compatible. It costs $13 bucks per year which is the fee for the cell service, as it doesnt send many signals thus cheap. The first year of service is included in the purchase of the device.
    There's Mil-spec, and then there's Gunnutz-spec.
    One is stringent, the other contains nuts.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by tdsacanada View Post
    I was wondering that too, but no, that's not necessary. It somehow communicates with cell phone towers to communicate back to the server. I was worried about data roaming in the US, but no sim card / data plan is required. There is a $13 / year subscription fee for it work though.
    Very cool indeed..

Pricing is reasonable. I dont travel with my firearms that much, but this will be handy with my camera gear or luggage in general.
    "A man is only as good as his word"

Thanks for the information. This will be on the "must have" list.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    For sure get one for 13 bucks a yr for frequent firearm flyers, cheap piece of mind.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

If I were a firearms retailer, I would send these with every shipment along with a SASE for return. Good insurance.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
    If I were a firearms retailer, I would send these with every shipment along with a SASE for return. Good insurance.
    To costly. The return shipping alone would be killer then the number of firearms get shipped makes it impractical. Then you have customers having to travel to the post office or waiting to send it back it's a pain for the customer as well.