CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AKU Pilgrim GTX Boots

Yesterday marked my first day of long term wearing of the AKU boots, it consisted of a hybrid hike that covered the following terrain - snow, ice, mud and water. The Vibram sole provided excellent traction on snow and mud, as expected ice covered surfaces proved more of a challenge ( usually when hiking on ice I use Yaktrax Pro ice grips ). My initial hike yesterday allowed me to start my evaluation, the 45 minutes hike yesterday allowed me to make these observations. The boots retained nominal heat and dissipated the rest out, part of this is also the wearing of good quality merino wool sox. The boot itself is currently 100% waterproof as one would expect from a new and high end boot, the outer boot shed water quickly and efficiently leaving no wet spots. The snow and ice provided plenty of ankle rolling opportunities, the AKU boot had plenty of support to keep my ankle stable and injury free. The mud was not a challenge and the Vibram sole cleared itself efficiently, also continuous traction without excessive clogging was evident on the hike. The boots had a total wear time yesterday of 14 continuous hours, as expected some foot fatigue was experienced & fully expected. Good news is that I had no bruising or hot spots that caused any pain today after getting up, I am going to include a link I found that will go through the boots construction and provide more concise information....

http://www.akupilgrim.com/models/aku...tx-mtp-forest/

gadget
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety

24 days now and my constant companion on my feet have been the AKU Pilgrim GTX boots; I have approximately about 175 km on my boots now after having traversed both hiking trails and the concrete jungle. The boots are showing no adverse wear of the soles or any material flaws that I have been able to detect. The have proven themselves by providing outstanding ankle support, and the foot remains stabilized in the boot when ascending or descending various inclines. The weather over the last couple of weeks has had the boot exposed to snow, mud, water, and they have continued to keep my feet dry and warm. As with any gortex lined boots it is important to remember that you will have a higher retention of heat within the boot, a simple switch to different thickness merino wool socks solves some of that issue nicely. The boots have remained totally waterproof despite my best attempts to get my feet wet, I have forded shallow streams that went as high as my ankles and have also been in mud so wet and clinging that I thought I would lose my boots. While nobody needs to heed my endorsement of the AKU boot line, if you are looking for a technical hiking boot and the ability to carry weight also, and then consider the Pilgrim GTX boots - I will continue to provide updates over the next couple of weeks again.

gadget
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety

BANNED
    Gadget

it's been a couple of months now with these boots - what's your opinion of them now? Have you worn the Salomon Quest 4D GTX in the past, if so, how do you compare both?

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Gadget

it's been a couple of months now with these boots - what's your opinion of them now? Have you worn the Salomon Quest 4D GTX in the past, if so, how do you compare both?
    Sorry for my delayed response in the boot department, the boots have performed beyond expectation to this point, they have been exposed to running/walking trails both city & field, range use both concrete & field, international travel, and just yesterday they had over two hours of ATV use in Northern Ontario, waterproof even when standing in a stream for a couple of hours, outstanding ankle support (6"2 235lbs), I have carried up to 80lbs in a pack while wearing them, no hot spots or anything to cause abrasions on my feet, I just bought another set but this time without gortex - Pilgrim DS. To answer your question about the Salomon Quest 4D GTX, I have owned and worn them and they did perform admirably for me, however I found the AKU boot to be a better fit & a much more adaptive boot. I have every major brand of boots in my closet, for now they have all been relegated to collecting dust -- did I mention I just ordered a set of the AKU - KS Leight GTX as my new patrol boots?? Research is your best friend and until about a year ago I had never heard of the AKU boot line, I am glad to have had the chance to purchase and wear them on a regular basis.

gadget

Do these have a fully gusseted tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by HuntersStand View Post
    Do these have a fully gusseted tongue?
    Yes they do have a fully gusseted tongue...

gadget

With the new CAF combat boot policy(yes, we can now buy our own) this thread has become relevant.

I tried on a pair of Lowas and had to go up 1 1/2 sizes for width - way to narrow for my feet. I wear 9 1/2 W Swats and they are fine. How do the Pilgrims fit for width?

I'm looking at the 5.11 6" Taclites or Halcyons, any advice?
    Last edited by Georgian Pistol; 08-05-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Additional questions

Quote Originally Posted by Georgian Pistol View Post
    With the new CAF combat boot policy(yes, we can now buy our own) this thread has become relevant.

I tried on a pair of Lowas and had to go up 1 1/2 sizes for width - way to narrow for my feet. I wear 9 1/2 W Swats and they are fine. How do the Pilgrims fit for width?

I'm looking at the 5.11 6" Taclites or Halcyons, any advice?
    True to size with a nice wide toe box

gadget

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12