CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AKU Pilgrim GTX Boots

AKU Pilgrim GTX Boots

AKU Pilgrim GTX forest coloured boots size 13 received today, boots inspected and the following observations made.

1 - fit and finish excellent
    2 - colours all even in materials
    3 - laces and eye holes lined up properly
    4 - sole of boot mated perfectly with boot upper, no gaps or defects noted
    5 - gortex bootie perfectly fitted to interior of boot, no sagging or protrusions noted
    6 - insole comfortable with no flushing on interior of boot ( side note I generally tend to use the Orange Happy Feet inserts / will try the factory ones for a thirty day to see how they work for me)
    7 - lacing system very instinctive, allows a wide range of adjustment for various thickness of socks ( generally wear medium hiking Smart Wool socks)
    8 - flexibility of sole was sufficient to be able to support medium to heavy loads
    9 - boots laced up created no hot spots or tension on feet

Personal info 6"2 and my weight fluctuates between 230-245lbs, the AKU Pilgrim GTX boots will be used for hiking ( both on street and trails), they will see long sessions on the range both on hard concrete and field, also I attend many trade shows during the year & for the last several years attended Shot Show working the day at the LE/MIL live fire and then four days on the floor working a booth. My normal footwear consists of Asolo, Lowa, Meindl, Salomon boots and I have different versions of all the boots mentioned ( priced anywhere from $225 to $600 ). Over the next 30-60 days I will endeavour to give feed back on my new footwear, as with all my boots I treated the outside with a waterproofing spray and then proceeded to go for a quick 25 minute hike both on and off trail. So far no hot spots or aches to report with my first trip, please keep in mind they are brand new but fit like my cross trainers ... Stay tuned more to come!!!
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety

Did you just order from the site, or did you call the little "camping store" in Hereford? I went from Meindle to a pair of Scarpa not to long ago and I'm not totally sold on them. I have been looking at the Pilgrim and Soloman if the Scarpa don't come around.

Looking forward to your reports.

Mike

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wrong Way's Avatar
    Ontario.....far enough N of T.O. that I (almost) can't smell it
    What colour are they? The pics range from blue to grey to mint green?

Also...is tat 550 paracord for laces? For me that's an "in emergencies only" temporary fix. Paracord makes horrible laces
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Wrong Way". Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Way View Post

Also...is tat 550 paracord for laces? For me that's an "in emergencies only" temporary fix. Paracord makes horrible laces
    Sorry my iPhone pictures are not the best - I will take some better pictures in natural light..

gadget
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pilgrim View Post
    Did you just order from the site, or did you call the little "camping store" in Hereford? I went from Meindle to a pair of Scarpa not to long ago and I'm not totally sold on them. I have been looking at the Pilgrim and Soloman if the Scarpa don't come around.

Looking forward to your reports.

Mike
    Mike we have a distributor in Canada

http://shop.rampartcorp.com/category_s/2146.htm

gadget

Gutted paracord or stock? Or does it matter? What do you find bad about using it for laces?
    God doesn't believe in Atheists

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hokus Grey's Avatar
    Looking forward to your reviews.
    #BeLoveCreateProtect

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wrong Way's Avatar
    Ontario.....far enough N of T.O. that I (almost) can't smell it
    Quote Originally Posted by ADK View Post
    Gutted paracord or stock? Or does it matter? What do you find bad about using it for laces?
    either

The jacket is too slippery in either case....and with the inner cores free to move in stock form its even worse....knots like to undo themselves.
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Wrong Way". Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

either

The jacket is too slippery in either case....and with the inner cores free to move in stock form its even worse....knots like to undo themselves.
    True. I've been using toaster-style cordlocs in lieu of knots with success on my hiking and duty boots that are laced with paracord. Works well so far.
    God doesn't believe in Atheists

Thanks Gadget. I noticed your other post and link. Hope to see a favourable review of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast