Thread: Training Tip: Mark your magazines

Expired Business Member

Training Tip: Mark your magazines

Hey there,

During this slow period when the snow is finally melting and soon before we can finally go outside without freezing our asses off, I thought I'd post some tips on things that we see at TDSA courses that students can improve on or that would help them be more prepared for our courses.

One simple thing that any student or shooter can do to make their lives easier at the range is to mark their mags.

The first part of this is fairly straight forward - mark your magazines with your name. This allows other shooters on the range to easily identify whose mag is whose, and it makes classes and competitions run that much smoother. Mags are typically expensive, some can be as much as $250 (HS precision .308 rifle mags anyone?), and we want to make sure you go home with all of the mags you came with.

The next point might not be so obvious - mark your mags with a unique ID, whether it's a letter or number, so you can distinguish your mags apart from each other. This is invaluable when you start running into technical problems with your firearm. Let's say that you've been having a feeding problem with your rifle and or your pistol intermittently during the day. Having each mag uniquely ID'd can eliminate guess work and quickly identify if one mag is to blame. This has saved me before, I have a bunch of Accuracy International AW Rifle .308 Win mags, and there's one of out the batch that won't feed the last 2 rounds. I know which one it is, because it's marked with the letter A, so I can avoid using it until I can get it fixed.

Anyway, that's the tip of the week. Hope you enjoy, if you have any comments or further suggestions about to keeping track of mags, we'd love to hear them.

Our course schedule for the year is 67% booked, so if you're hoping to get a slot in an upcoming course this summer, I recommend signing up soon.

Thanks!

BANNED
    I use those little colored dots red blue green yellow etc at Buisness depot and stick them on the mag ends..
    They don't damage the mags and help identify what one if any has a problem.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer curseyou's Avatar
    Cool pro-tip! Thanks

Mine get marked with a paint pen. Easy to see/read, it's permanent and unaffected by water, and if I need to change the markings a little paint thinner and I've got a blank slate.

Cool. Good tip.
    Former Proud NFA member

Cool and handy tip for sure
    Thanks

Marking Mags

Excellent post TDSA!
    Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
    Member NFA

Good idea

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Thanks for the tip.

Where's tip #2?

Training Tip: Mark your magazines

Nice! Keep the tips coming! Some may be general knowledge, but there's always someone who doesn't know and it may save them some headache/money!