$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackfeather rs opinion on installation . UPDATED WITH PICS

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar

blackfeather rs opinion on installation . UPDATED WITH PICS

We I received my blackfeather rs stock yesterday. So I started tinkering and installation today.

What a beautiful stock! Its almost too pretty to install the qd sling mount that are going scratch the hell out of it :-s....

Now the headache, and all off it is my fault I must had, but it put me in a real pickle! I installed the stock on a new da socom 18 that I shot 10 or 20 rounds true , the op rod buss has never ben penned or any other metod to solidify it. So I took the emery cloth to it after 10-15 minutes well it was going on but really thing, like REALLY! So I was maybe 1/4 in, at that point what I sould have donne is I should have took it of and spend another 10-15 minutes on the emery cloth, but it was really stuck on. So I did the STUPIDEST mistake, I just continued to ram it on, I now deeply regret that!

I line up the hole for the role pin, hammered it home and voila! I now resume reading the detail instructions and read the bold warning that it need to be snug not welded tight. I proceed to mesure the receiver to op rod distance, i am at the top of the spec ( maximum length) so I am good, it fits in the stock and bolts on, but it feels like it should go one 1/32 deeper as I cant adjust the set screw plus it rotated between 1-3 degrees on the side, it fits the stock but the op rod makes contack on the piston maybe 1/16 to much on the side.

My big problem is I can't rotate it never mind scratching the op rod guide if I could just aligne it! I know wen I take it to the range next month it might group good, but the ods are its going to shoot like crap now, I am pist at myself right now, il have to bring out the heavy tools at my dad if I want to try to aligne it, if I can:s

to future buyers, take your time and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
    Last edited by rally guy; 04-07-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Well I got my tube and stoke sor here how she is for now, I will need a scope and bipod.

Here she is with my excellent urban ert hybrid sling. It is nice as it is a common sling for my rfb and ar

And here I added a spacer at the back of the qd mount as the qd swivel was contacting the stock and would have scrach it in about 30 seconds of carring.

In a couple of weeks il go to the range but befor I will fix the problem I created with the op rod guide.

Big Mouth
    Looking good. Cant wait to get mine installed.

Looks good OP.
    I have always loved the look and the reviews of these and the other M14 parts, but one thing has always prevented me from taking the plunge. The gap between the grip and the trigger guard. I am a lowly 5'5'' and have medium to small hands and that just seems like quite the reach to the trigger while having a comfortable position on the pistol grip. Anyone else thiink having a version where the grip could be more forward would be beneficial?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Sights View Post
    Looks good OP.
    I have always loved the look and the reviews of these and the other M14 parts, but one thing has always prevented me from taking the plunge. The gap between the grip and the trigger guard. I am a lowly 5'5'' and have medium to small hands and that just seems like quite the reach to the trigger while having a comfortable position on the pistol grip. Anyone else thiink having a version where the grip could be more forward would be beneficial?
    I'm about your height with firmly small mitts and the grip/trigger positioning does not bother me. My finger is solidly on the trigger up to the first knuckle. The gap is needed to allow the trigger guard to swing downward for takedown.

The new colour choices look great. Reading the instructions all the way through before trying the install is a good idea since the Op. Rod Guide install would be hard to reverse if you mess it up. Perhaps heating the Op. Rod Guide with a torch might give you enough expansion to get it aligned - having this right is important. Good luck with this and let us know hoe you get this sorted.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

Looks good OP.
    When I first looked at the distance between the grip and trigger I had the same concern, but after installing it and using it, for me (6') it could actually be a little longer. I really don't think you would have a problem with the trigger location. I don't have big hands at all. I wear medium men's gloves. Don't worry about your height. What size gloves to you wear and that will give you a better idea.

Looks good OP.
    Well I am 5'8" with smallish hand but fairly long finguer and to me the distance is perfect and even if it would be 1/4 to 1/2 inch I don't think it would be a big problem.

I dont think you would have any problem with distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    I'm about your height with firmly small mitts and the grip/trigger positioning does not bother me. My finger is solidly on the trigger up to the first knuckle. The gap is needed to allow the trigger guard to swing downward for takedown.

The new colour choices look great. Reading the instructions all the way through before trying the install is a good idea since the Op. Rod Guide install would be hard to reverse if you mess it up. Perhaps heating the Op. Rod Guide with a torch might give you enough expansion to get it aligned - having this right is important. Good luck with this and let us know hoe you get this sorted.
    In all honesty I find the blackfeather stock colors are really hard to capture. The colors looks even better in personne.

Edit: that is first photo we have seen of an RFB along side a short-barreled M14. Thank-you.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 04-28-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Well I'd like to report that I got proper tools and was able to rotate the op rod guide, remove the pin and tap it I a bit more, now its a perfect fit! I will try to go to the range tomorrow I can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast