Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Made in China for Marstar 'GI Rifle' in a Synthetic Stock"

CGN Regular
    I remember when they were $399 and now they are $599.

So that is quite an increase but I also look at what else is available in that type of rifle and what it costs, $599 still looks pretty good in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I remember when they were $399 and now they are $599.

So that is quite an increase but I also look at what else is available in that type of rifle and what it costs, $599 still looks pretty good in comparison.
    In 10 years when they are $999.00 the $599.00 price is going to look good. Tell me something that hasn't gone up. A liter of regular gasoline went from 129.9 to 142.9 a couple of nights ago.

Its all relative.

Remember ads in the mid 80's selling un-issued FN's, Lee-Enfields, Swedish M-38's etc... between 100-300 bucks. As a poor university student those "rock bottom" prices were still out of reach (Any one else remember the "Gunrunner" newspaper and Century Arms Fliers?)

Bought a $299.00 TRW M14 (Israeli lend-lease return) which I saved up for (Didn't drink for 4 months as a result of this purchase). Then found it next to impossible to feed it a diet of surplus military ammo (I discovered a box in the back of my storage room a couple of years ago. 20 rounds of 1972 head stamped IVI on 10 round stripper clips was going for $3.95). I was making 6.00 an hour at the time.
    When I now look at what I make an hour vs. some of the prices we are paying - my purchasing power has gone way up in the intervening years.

L
    --------------------------------------------------
    "If sense is so common ..... why is it in such short supply?"

Yeah, I think I've heard both sides of the fence, "it's the Chinese fault," "the Chinese are running out of M14 type actions," "the Canadian Dollar has lost it's value," etc, etc, etc. I know one thing for sure; when a dealer sells them at $450, they are GONE is under 24 hours, likewise, anywhere above $550, and they're sitting on the shelves.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having the next best thing to an FNC1, but that's a compromise too! I have feeling, that at these prices, there's going to be quite a few available for some time.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer DARKSTANG's Avatar
    Well, one thing is for certain. These are a lot cheaper than the alternative. What are Springfield worth, these days? $2100-$2400ish? I realize Springfield makes very quality stuff, mind you, but from what I've read here, even at the current price, it's cheaper to modify a Norinco.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by North Eastern Arms
    Due to the recent Zombie outbreak in the South, we have increased production to Canada. We're doing a big push this month.
    End Quote:

Thing I find funny is, you go through the EE and everyone is asking $600 plus for their used M305s. I would much rather buy a brand new one for that price.
    KMATDCS

CGN Ultra frequent flyer DARKSTANG's Avatar
    I'm glad someone said that. Lol! Couldn't agree more. Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenShadow80 View Post
    Thing I find funny is, you go through the EE and everyone is asking $600 plus for their used M305s. I would much rather buy a brand new one for that price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by North Eastern Arms
    Due to the recent Zombie outbreak in the South, we have increased production to Canada. We're doing a big push this month.
    End Quote:

Totally agree!! But samey same; none of them are selling either LOL!!

Expired Business
    Quote Originally Posted by PPCLIGullyPlatoon View Post
    A little? 11% decrease in the Canadian Dollar yields a 39.6% in price jump. If gas suddenly jumped 51 cents at the pump, I don't think anyone would characterize that as the "price went up a little" (just saying, LOL!)
    POSTED this before, the factory price went up a little over $100. the Canadian dollar dropped 11%.... do the math

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    POSTED this before, the factory price went up a little over $100. the Canadian dollar dropped 11%.... do the math
    I really don't want to argue the point ad nauseum and I get the math; (1/0.89)(Manufacturer Price + $100.00)=$595.51, understood.

Last I looked, the Canadian Dollar dropped 11% compared to the US Dollar - I get that; but so did the Chinese Yuan compared to the US Dollar --- trading value between Canada and the PRC has not changed that dramatically over the past year.

I am not one to tell someone how to run a business, but, as an importer, I know the typical importation markup is quite often double the "landed cost" ----contracted FOB before the price increase? Perhaps $200, but certainly not more than $300 ---- in either event, I would be asking questions: a) Why the price increase at the factory? b) Would the price increase be supported by the customer?

True enough - it's still a reasonable deal when comparing an M14 to the M305. The compromise for me is, to have an M305 work like an M14, I am likely going to have to sink in a few bucks - perhaps twice as much, and I am okay with $900 battle rifle that is similar to an M14. Now, it's approaching $1200-$1400 --- it's not near as far a stretch to $2000 for a Springer, not that I am saying I would pay that; it just makes the M305 less of a bargain.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast