Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Well, I finally bought an SKS

CGN Regular
    I've really enjoyed shooting mine. Haven't shot the Russian yet. Will do so next week. Fun and powerful rifle.

just bought one from a fellow CGN'er getting it next week! excited to finally own that red rifle! and shoot it

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    what kind of cleaning do you have to do on the sks after firing corrosive ammo?

Youve joined the sks club. Theyre fun to shoot and cheap to run. I now own two!

Buy windex. You can use other cleaners but the active ingedient must be acidic. Take out the bolt and gas system. Spray windex down barrel and gas port. Then rinse with warm water. Do the same thing for the bolt, piston and gas tube. I dont but you could also clean the inside of the bolt where the fireing pin is. After rinsing with water, relubricate as u would with normal cleaning. Once u get used to it its not a big deal.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by dnewma02 View Post
    Buy windex. You can use other cleaners but the active ingedient must be acidic. Take out the bolt and gas system. Spray windex down barrel and gas port. Then rinse with warm water. Do the same thing for the bolt, piston and gas tube. I dont but you could also clean the inside of the bolt where the fireing pin is. After rinsing with water, relubricate as u would with normal cleaning. Once u get used to it its not a big deal.
    windex contains Ammonium hydroxide which is a base.

From wikipedia

Basicity of ammonia in water[edit]
    In aqueous solution, ammonia deprotonates a small fraction of the water to give ammonium and hydroxide according to the following equilibrium:

NH3 + H2O is in equilibrium with NH4+ + OH−.
    In a 1M ammonia solution, about 0.42% of the ammonia is converted to ammonium, equivalent to a pH of 11.63. The base ionization constant is

Kb = [NH4+][OH−]/[NH3] = 1.8×10−5

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryogen View Post
    windex contains Ammonium hydroxide which is a base.

From wikipedia

Basicity of ammonia in water[edit]
    In aqueous solution, ammonia deprotonates a small fraction of the water to give ammonium and hydroxide according to the following equilibrium:

NH3 + H2O is in equilibrium with NH4+ + OH−.
    In a 1M ammonia solution, about 0.42% of the ammonia is converted to ammonium, equivalent to a pH of 11.63. The base ionization constant is

Kb = [NH4+][OH−]/[NH3] = 1.8×10−5
    In more plain English, the residue left from firing corrosive ammo that you're trying to dissolve is a form of salt. You can dissolve FAR more salt into solution using warm water than you can into Windex which is essentially alcohol and ammonia.

I usually just strip the gun, wash the metal bits with warm tap water, spray it down with WD-40 to displace the water, then clean with Hoppes #9 as usual. No rust yet.
    "Arm yourself because no one else here will save you." - Chris Cornell

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    great thanks

the windex i bought used lactic acid. i left it at my range but if anyone wants to know i will post the specific type (because i guess it is not run of the mill windex). Who knew.
    hoppes 9 is better since is dissolves copper, but is more expensive. wd-40 is a good idea. i bet i could save 10 minutes instead of running a millions patches to dry it lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianReich's Avatar
    keep the cosmoline on, they're great PVC guns
    Please ban this account. I've been using it so long, with so many posts and information divulged, I suspect most anyone can tell who I am now. Do I still have my "reasonable expectation of privacy" with this account? Time to move on.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast