Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Well, I finally bought an SKS

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by popcanhunter View Post
    i wipe everything with paper towel.
    then i dip everything in the bathtub, except the gas tube and trigger assembly.
    then i wipe everythign again.

then i use remmington bright bore and a qtip anywhere i can find any more black stuff.

then i coat everything with oil.

the reason i dont put the gas tube in, is because i dont want to soak the wood, and then have it hold moisture against the metal. im concerned corrosion on the gas tube where i cant access it do to the wood, so i just spray lots of oil on the tube and hope it runs back there. i spray bright bore inside the gas tube and cram paper towel into it then pull it back out, until it looks like just bright bore comming back out.

i spend a couple hours on it, from start to finish. i thought i was doin a super awesome overkill job... which i dont mind because i enjoy doing it... but last time i had it apart there was a bit of corrosion on the piston and inside the gas tube.

any advice?
    I saturate the piston and gas tube with break cleaner, run the brush, and rinse. I then use air compressor @100psi to push the water out. Then G96 and run several patches through it until clean. I also spray some G96 on the underside where the wood meets the gas tube and leave it upside down for a few minutes to let the lube seep down.

CGN frequent flyer
    braKe cleaner eh.... any chance i could go to CT in search of brake cleaner and bring home the wrong stuff?

whats c96?

CGN Regular
    Regarding not cleaning, the polar opposite is cleaning after ever three rounds. I witnessed this with my own eyes at the range last weekend. Semi auto shotgun, ran a G96 soaked bore snake through the barrel after every 3 rounds. Must of ran it through more than a dozen times while I was there. Nice looking shotgun!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by popcanhunter View Post
    braKe cleaner eh.... any chance i could go to CT in search of brake cleaner and bring home the wrong stuff?

whats c96?
    http://www.g96.com/

I bought the cheap Walmart brand brake cleaner across the border for $3 a can. As long as you rinse it out and clean with G96 I don't think you can go wrong with any brake cleaner. I stripped down the sks and used brake cleaner to remove the cosmoline. Just be sure to do it where there is a lot of ventilation

i've used that exact brake cleaner, {from wally in the u.s. $3} works great for first time cleaning after you get rid of much of the cosmoline, only thing to remember is to keep that brake cleaner away from the wood furniture, i learned the hard way and it did remove some finish on the wood gas tube cover on one of my sks's before i promptly got it off there

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by westarm View Post
    i've used that exact brake cleaner, {from wally in the u.s. $3} works great for first time cleaning after you get rid of much of the cosmoline, only thing to remember is to keep that brake cleaner away from the wood furniture, i learned the hard way and it did remove some finish on the wood gas tube cover on one of my sks's before i promptly got it off there
    Good to know. I sprayed it all over my chicom sks wood, with a prompt rinse though. No damage done. I'll be sure to be more careful going forward.

i started to wonder why the color of the cosmoline was changing... lol, it wasnt it was the finish on my rifle...lesson learned, wouldnt want it to happen to someone else.

Love my SKS, going on two years, would like to get another one but need to acquire a 308 first (m14)

Expired Business
    A very handy treatment....
    we have been using K-Krown T-40 for years, it is available at any K-Krown car rustproofing outlet....
    when finished shooting simply spray some down the bore, gas system etc, clean it later when convenient, this will stop any chemical reaction in its tracks....Safe on wood, plastic etc, etc
    non-toxic....
    John

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    A very handy treatment....
    we have been using K-Krown T-40 for years, it is available at any K-Krown car rustproofing outlet....
    when finished shooting simply spray some down the bore, gas system etc, clean it later when convenient, this will stop any chemical reaction in its tracks....Safe on wood, plastic etc, etc
    non-toxic....
    John
    fuk yeah, im gettin me some o that!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast