Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Well, I finally bought an SKS

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator

Well, I finally bought an SKS

I have to say Marstar did an admirable job getting this here. Very well packed, and in superb condition.
    Now I just need to do the cleaning I'd do on any new firearm and head to the range.
    I was expecting a lot more cosmoline, thanks guys!
    Bush hunter!

Just cleaned mine the other day. Cosmoline in the outside wasn't so bad. Inside the bolt and around the firing pin was pretty caked. Same with the gas tube. Pretty handy for your cleaning that it wasn't too bad by the sound of it.People weren't kidding when they described the stock as sweating cosmoline when you apply heat.
    I enjoy firearms and firearm accessories.

CGN Regular
    I must be lucky. I grabbed two of the hardwood stock models and all I had to clean were the bolts to make sure the firing pins were free. Everything else was cleaned, oiled and ready to shoot.

Thanks again for two great rifles!
    "Arm yourself because no one else here will save you." - Chris Cornell

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    I have to say Marstar did an admirable job getting this here. Very well packed, and in superb condition.
    Now I just need to do the cleaning I'd do on any new firearm and head to the range.
    I was expecting a lot more cosmoline, thanks guys!
    Good move. It's such a great gun, and so easy to maintain. I have put thousands of rounds thru mine and I have NEVER had a failure of any kind. I can't say that about any other gun I own.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

what, no pics?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cocker View Post
    Just cleaned mine the other day. Cosmoline in the outside wasn't so bad. Inside the bolt and around the firing pin was pretty caked. Same with the gas tube. Pretty handy for your cleaning that it wasn't too bad by the sound of it.People weren't kidding when they described the stock as sweating cosmoline when you apply heat.
    You just reminded me to clean the gas tube before I go shoot it. I cleaned every part but that XD I wonder what would've happened if I shot it still caked in cosmoline...

Quote Originally Posted by Cifyra View Post
    You just reminded me to clean the gas tube before I go shoot it. I cleaned every part but that XD I wonder what would've happened if I shot it still caked in cosmoline...
    If it was too clogged it wouldnt cycle. If it wasnt too clogged, cycle normally. Just a guess.
    93AAĜ1976

The British empire was an incredible achievement. It brought civilisation to the uncivilised.

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    She's in bits at the moment. So far, I'd say there is far more on the cleaning kit that comes with it to fit in the stock tube than anywhere else. Stock is clean and dry.
    Bush hunter!

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    You will like the SKS, they are a fun gun! One of the things I found helped when shooting them is to have a very square stance, ie do not creep the stock... The LOP is okay then...

Enjoy!

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You will like the SKS, they are a fun gun! One of the things I found helped when shooting them is to have a very square stance, ie do not creep the stock... The LOP is okay then...

Enjoy!

Cheers
    Jay
    Good points! For the money and cheap surplus x39 still available, these are hard to beat!!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast