Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Tapco SKS and mags

Thanx TSE.mthe video really helped. You have another very happy customer.

CGN Regular
    That was great thank you, going out to the garage to fix mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by aogun View Post
    Thanx guys. I did have the bolt open (did some reading before posting)., looks like I ll have to sand it down a bit . Lakermetal, where did you file yours,front or back ?
    Well TSE beat me to it. I did excatly as shown in the video.

Now that your mags fit good, get out and light that thing up!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    I'd avoid grinding the bolt so that it can stay closed for mag insertion. There's little reason to do it. More work than reward and an irreversible mod to a fine Russian milsurp.

Push the bolt catch up with your finger to lock the bolt back when loading the first mag. This takes 1.5 seconds, and you only do it once.

Since the bolt stays open after each mag's last shot, another mag goes in while the bolt is open.

Or just use stripper clips and only remove the mag for cleaning like I do.
    Last edited by EL34/6L6; 05-02-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

BANNED
    You, got to have the bolt open and you have to make sure that the duckbill point on the mag is tight to the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by EL34/6L6 View Post
    I'd avoid grinding the bolt so that it can stay closed for mag insertion. There's little reason to do it. More work than reward and an irreversible mod to a fine Russian milsurp.

Push the bolt catch up with your finger to lock the bolt back when loading the first mag. This takes 1.5 seconds, and you only do it once.

Since the bolt stays open after each mag's last shot, another mag goes in while the bolt is open.

Thanx , appreciate the advice.mi think I'll leave the bolt as is. And you are correct, as I lucked out and this a beautiful weapon.

I had to file down the sides of mine to get them in, and there is a trick to getting the mags in when the bolt is closed.

I had to file my mag a bit ! Fits good now
    True North strong and free !

Quote Originally Posted by EL34/6L6 View Post

I would absolutely agree!!! In fact, since I am restricted to 5 rounds in a magazine (until someone develops a 7.62 X 39 pistol (and magazine) that has a 10 round capacity LOL), I plan on getting rid of the Tapco magazine and replacing it with an original SKS mag. Why? The mag release is a PITA to use - which means replacing it with an extended mag release. The Tapco mag needs to be modified to use stripper clips (back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and the FNC1A1 was THE ruling battle rifle - mag charging with stripper clips in the rifle was a timed test) ----- I'd rather not mess around with multiple magazines filled with 5 rounds each when I could carry a few stripper clips just as easily, and charged the semi-fixed magazine. The bolt-closed magazine insertion modification just looks like a HUGE PITA!!! Not to mention the $40/magazine cost.

Let's do a quick add up!!! $280 rifle with Tapco stock and 1 magazine +1 extra mag @ $40 + extended mag release @ $25 + 1 extra bolt (because I'll surely ruin the first one accomplishing the closed-bolt mod) @ $35 + my time to modify the two magazines, ruin the first bolt and complete the task on the second bolt (not to mention the down time). Hmmmmmmmm LOL
    "This is my country, there are many like it, but this one is mine---------"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPCLIGullyPlatoon View Post
    I would absolutely agree!!! In fact, since I am restricted to 5 rounds in a magazine (until someone develops a 7.62 X 39 pistol (and magazine) that has a 10 round capacity LOL), I plan on getting rid of the Tapco magazine and replacing it with an original SKS mag. Why? The mag release is a PITA to use - which means replacing it with an extended mag release. The Tapco mag needs to be modified to use stripper clips (back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and the FNC1A1 was THE ruling battle rifle - mag charging with stripper clips in the rifle was a timed test) ----- I'd rather not mess around with multiple magazines filled with 5 rounds each when I could carry a few stripper clips just as easily, and charged the semi-fixed magazine. The bolt-closed magazine insertion modification just looks like a HUGE PITA!!! Not to mention the $40/magazine cost.

Let's do a quick add up!!! $280 rifle with Tapco stock and 1 magazine +1 extra mag @ $40 + extended mag release @ $25 + 1 extra bolt (because I'll surely ruin the first one accomplishing the closed-bolt mod) @ $35 + my time to modify the two magazines, ruin the first bolt and complete the task on the second bolt (not to mention the down time). Hmmmmmmmm LOL
    Ive actually had better luck with the Tapco mag than the stock one. The stock fixed mag is more robust, but feeding problems can occur frequently I find, due to the follower position. My Tapco mag can be, and has been, modded easily to feed and take clips properly. I bought an extended mag release last year and never even took it out of its package. I leave my mag in the rifle, and don't swap them. The stock release is just fine. I have no trouble with it.
    Cost is not something I personally worry about. Granted, im not going to throw lots of it at a $200 rifle, but $20-40 here and there, no big deal.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast