Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Breakin at the The Shooting Edge

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pontcanna View Post
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/05/26...atest-break-in

Twenty handguns stolen from Calgary's Shooting Edge in latest break-in

BY JENNA MCMURRAY,CALGARY SUN
    UPDATED: MONDAY, MAY 26, 2014 01:21 PM MDT

Police are investigating the theft of handguns at a Calgary shooting range after the second break-in there in just over two weeks.

J.R. Cox, owner of The Shooting Edge at 510 77 Ave. S.E., said his employee arrived to the range Monday morning to find a front window smashed in.

Cops believe more than 20 firearms were taken.

On May 11, police say a man forced his way into the Shooting Edge and used a baseball bat to smash open a display case and steal 11 handguns.

That man was wearing a black hoodie, blue jeans, red gloves with grey pals, and white shoes.

Cox said after that incident, security was in the process of being upgraded, with new stainless steel mesh window coverings being installed Monday, one day too late to stop the most recent break-in.

Cox also said while the store has drive-by patrols, he plans to have a guard stationed outside from closing to opening until all of the security upgrades are complete.

He said with the new installations he will have invested about $200,000 in protecting the range.

It's frustrating and embarrassing, he said, that both break-ins have happened despite the security he already had in place, including an alarm that he says was not triggered and $80,000 worth of high-definition security cameras.

"We're pretty mortified," he said.

"That guns get on the street from here scares the crap out of us."

The police investigation is looking into whether the two offences are connected and if a description from the most recent break-in can be obtained through surveillance footage.

Anyone with information about either case is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
    Interesting article, must have been some good thieves to steal and not set off the alarm. If the employee had not seen a broken window when he opened the store the next day it may have gone un noticed?
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sinasta's Avatar
    Why not just put the guns in their respective gun cases that they came with and then place them in the safe. It would only take about 10 minutes to do and prevent any knicks and scratches.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    . I still feel confident that if the systems worked as paid for, the conversation would be different.

Unfortunately they did not.

JR
    At least you are on the right track, Inside job, someone knew your security was no good by the sounds of it.
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Did you have barred windows? If laminate glass didn't work as advertised that would probably stop them. If the alarm system wasn't tripped, and patrols weren't there I'd probably switch companies. This could have happened to anyone, with the controls you said you had in place, I would have thought it was safe, also.

I agree, inside job, if it was my store I would be using the security company,I would conduct police interviews with each employee,I will not stop. This is a load of crap someone knew, and not to mention the security system did not trigger? Come on , I would be talking to the security companies installers as well after all they know the security of the store inside and out , that is where I would start. The security company and it's employees who installed the systems!!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    At least you are on the right track, Inside job, someone knew your security was no good by the sounds of it.
    Hard to know exactly what happened . The security may have been okay , but maybe someone with inside knowledge of the security procedures by-passed them.....or told someone else how to do it , or where the weak points were.....I guess it is all speculation at this point , but no doubt it was a targeted theft....not just a random smash and grab thief who just happened to be in the neighbourhood looking for easy pickings........

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverFever View Post
    May I also suggest that you test all critical security procedures/systems monthly.

I do this without fail, every month, no excuses. I want to know if my security system is working as expected. Yes, I do break glass on purpose to test my glass break, smoke my smoke detector, test all door/window contacts, test all motion detectors. If you want to do them all in one day it's a good idea to call the security company ahead of time and they can provide a report of all triggers in a defined time range. I even cut power to make sure the security system battery backup is working.

I also like to test them at random (monthly) to make sure they are following the call list and demanding the pre-defined safe word/password. I time them to make sure they are within the contracted SLA. Never more then 5 minutes for the first call, which determines if they alert authorities. Glass break, smoke detector, and water detection are all centrally monitored along with contacts/motion.

All of this for a residence. I would expect much more from a location with exponentially more firearms and liability. It might just be me, but I get a kick out of designing and testing these systems.

My cameras are wireless, protected by a firewall, and email me instantly on my iphone when a motion is triggered. I know when my kids are home, when my wife walks the dog and when my mom visits to fold laundry (she loves folding laundry lol). I know before the security companies know because the systems are mutually exclusive.

Last tip, always be skeptical of sales pitches. Prove your systems work by testing.
    Great suggestions.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Any "film on glass" is a joke, inside or out. The exterior facing windows needs bars, plain and simple. As for the display cases? Again, laminated glass or wired security glass is a joke, it's only meant to slow someone down. First line of defense, don't let them get in. Easier said than done? Is it? (rhetorical question)

There is a firearms shop I've been to in BC which buzzes a person in AND buzzes a person out through double door security. I was impressed. Straight away gives the sense that there is no screwing around at their facility. For those of you who have been there you know what I am talking about.

Just like a firm which needs to ward against cyber attacks via hacks, an "armored" facility also needs regular intrusion prevention testing. Sales people will sell you the world when it comes to cameras, foggers, laminated glass, armored cabinets, yadda, yadda, yadda as you have keenly recognized. But how many of them will let you field test their gear in a simulated break-in to PROVE their component of the overall security puzzle relative to the specific design/location? Yes, the PROVE pun is intended.

Ever thought of having bright exterior lights that come on and flash to alert any passers by on Blackfoot? What about DNA tagging of the unsold items and or suspension sprays? Tag each and every unsold item with an armored GPS module that is damn hard to remove. In the meantime, as soon as the firearm is taken, the GPS unit is unplugged from it's charging supply and the system is automatically tracking the firearm at least up until the thief is able to remove the tracker. Would give a hell of a lot more info to move on in tracking the first few minutes/hours of the stolen items.

Yes, it all costs money and adds up damn fast. But as someone earlier eluded to, via the several break-ins... how many illegal restricted firearms are now on the street? At what cost?

My humble $.02

DOGBONE! Back up your claim of arrogance, and why it should have been shut down long ago ?because you don't like it ? What a jerk thing to say. While I know mr cox is to blame for the reclassification of Swiss arms another jerk loser move . The employees there have always been friendly and nice to me. This is a private business of someone who although may be in bed with the RCMP has worked hard to provide gun enthusiasts with access to practice there hoby. I think you are a knob. I would sue the security company. And do an interrogation on all of the employees .

It might have been the Hay River RCMP. Were the guns in "plain sight"?