Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tannerite

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Where's the english translation to the Quebec regs? In BC we are required to have complete french translations of everything, just in case one of the 12 francophones in the province wanders in. Is Quebec the only Non-bilingual province in Canada?
    Do what I did, install Google Translate to your browser; one click and BAM! You've soured the language plot!

Quote Originally Posted by 2strklvr View Post
    lol. My club just spent a lot of money to rebuild the 25 & 50 yard berms as they were worn down by the weather and didn't pass the height requirements on the last CFO inspection. I could just imagine the grief that a couple boneheads with a case of tannerite might cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by calix View Post
    I don't come to this forum often so i don't know if it has already been addressed but as far as i know these targets are illegal in Quebec because Quebec has its own explosives act.

http://www.suretequebec.gouv.qc.ca/s.../explosifs.jsp

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...E_22/E22R1.htm
    That act refers to the Explosives and Dangerous Goods Act lists of controlled explosive compounds; of which Tannerite has been removed from. I do not see "tannerite" in that list; however I am unaware of a translation and google has been unable to help me there. If you know the compound specified in the doc you linked that prohibits the use of Tannerite, please share.

That said, I've some doubts about dropping money on something I can easily see the CFO's getting knickers in a knot over already.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Is Quebec the only Non-bilingual province in Canada?
    Of course its the only non bilingual province in Canada. They have their own police force dedicated to rounding up anyone that speaks English and their own charter!
    Yuppie!!! Powder is a lot easier to find!!!! And the price has gone through the roof on it. If it isn't one thing, its another.

Apparently the only English allowed is the big sign on the highway to Quebec City that says "Welcome to the Nations Capital"

Cfo sure dies like to crap all over anything fun...

Hi John,
    Any chance of the rimfire stuff? I think it's called Tannerite Goliath ? I see it every time I'm in the US at gander mountain but am unsure if I can just bring it in or not. Would rather buy from a Canadian company.

Anyone else have the urge to play trap with this stuff? Just me?

Quote Originally Posted by nonrandomhero View Post
    Anyone else have the urge to play trap with this stuff? Just me?
    You'd have to be a damn good shot to hit it with a rifle round.

i have seen an english version of the law but it was only one section and it didn't have any useful information just the part of the law about licenses and stuff. I was unable to find the rest of it but i am sure it exist in some legal database.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bollox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrwlf View Post
    Ontario's CFO has just issued a memorandum:

The Chief Firearms Office does not approve the use of explosive targets. This also includes tannerite

Sorry about that.

Yawn, why would that interest me? I could care less about what the ont cfo's opinion is..
    sic semper tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by RageStation View Post
    That act refers to the Explosives and Dangerous Goods Act lists of controlled explosive compounds; of which Tannerite has been removed from. I do not see "tannerite" in that list; however I am unaware of a translation and google has been unable to help me there. If you know the compound specified in the doc you linked that prohibits the use of Tannerite, please share.
    Tannernite is a brand name and not a chemical composition. The wiki page for tannernite states that "The oxidizer is a mixture of 85% 200-mesh ammonium nitrate and 0–15% ammonium perchlorate, while the catalyst is a mixture of 90% 600-mesh dark flake aluminium powder, 5% 325-mesh titanium sponge and 5% 200-mesh zirconium hydroxide." and annex 1 (list of explosives) of the Quebec explosives act lists "Ammonium, mélanges explosifs à base de perchlorate d'ammonium" and later on "Chlorate d'ammonium"

The next sentence in the Wikipedia article states that "Simpler mixtures of ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder often named as ammonal are also known to work." and the act also list "Ammonals ou minols"
    Thus I came to the conclusion that both brand name Tannernite as well as AN-AL mixtures are illegal in Quebec. I asked North Pro Sports about this when they posted on /r/canadaguns about a binary target presale. They said they would check into that but it has been 10 days with no reply. I am not a lawyer and my knowledge of French is functional but definitely not enough to feel at ease with French legalese so there is a good chance I could be wrong about this. As it stands I would not take the risk of owing, storing, transporting, or using these targets in Quebec. I hope I am wrong about this tannernite, seems like a lot of fun.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast