Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: North Sylvia-Chiappa Alaskan Scout Take Down in 45-70

45-70 in a 16" barrel take down version would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntersStand View Post
    45-70 in a 16" barrel take down version would be nice.
    I like the idea of keeping it as small as possible for throwing in a bag as a camp back up. That's why the 12" is so appealing. Once you start getting up in the 16-20" range you start getting away from that advantage. I understand you lose some accuracy the smaller you go but if it's a back up deference gun you have to look at all those things. I personally would rather have the convenience of small overall size over distance accuracy.
    I already own a Chiappa Mares Leg in .44 and a Marlin SBL 45-70. To me neither of them is the perfect camp back up gun. The thought of this type of gun with full stock in 45-70 stainless would to me answer all those issues.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    The Marlin 1895 in 45-70 has only a 4-shot tube magazine, and I would guess its around 15" long.

ht tp://www.cabelas.ca/product/3776/marlin-1895-guide-gun-lever-action-rifle

With a 12" tube I bet you couldn't get more than 3 in.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    The Marlin 1895 in 45-70 has only a 4-shot tube magazine, and I would guess its around 15" long.

ht tp://www.cabelas.ca/product/3776/marlin-1895-guide-gun-lever-action-rifle

With a 12" tube I bet you couldn't get more than 3 in.
    The Marlin SBL barrel is 18" and the tube is 17" and it fits 7 rounds in it with one in the chamber

^^When using flat top bullet rounds^^

With that being said a 12" tube should be able to fit 5 rounds of 45-70 with 4 in the tube and one in the chamber since each round is 2.5" long with flat topped bullets.

If they made this model with a 13" tube then we should be able to load 6 rounds of 45-70 with 5 in the tube and one in the chamber.
    That to me would be the ultimate camp back up defense gun.

CGN Regular
    16" take down in 45-70 please, the barrel and stock assy's would be about the same length so shorter not really relavent. Full length mag tube, octagon barrel, blued and wood, under $800.
    Same thing in S&W 460 would be nice but I'm not aware of a commercial action presently built strong (or cheap) enough at this price range.

Quote Originally Posted by burkeg View Post
    16" take down in 45-70 please, the barrel and stock assy's would be about the same length so shorter not really relavent. Full length mag tube, octagon barrel, blued and wood, under $800.
    Same thing in S&W 460 would be nice but I'm not aware of a commercial action presently built strong (or cheap) enough at this price range.
    So the only advantage you would have with the gun you describe over a Marlin SBL is that it would be take down and it would be 2.5" shorter.
    The take down advantage to me is just packing it for a trip, but once at a hunting camp and packing it in the woods as a back up gun you pretty much have no advantage IMO over the Marlin. You would pretty much be carrying around a full size back up rifle.
    With a 12" you could strap it on a back pack or other more compact methods being smaller and more versatile. Just don't see how a 16" version is any new revelation.

CGN frequent flyer
    IMO the 45-70 round would benefit from the extra 4" length. I agree with the comment about both pieces being the same length when taken down. For me I won't mind the extra bit of barrel when toting it around assembled. And since I won't be scoping it the longer sight radius will be a bonus.

If we are voting for barrel length I am for 16". Octagon.

12" 460 makes way more sense to me
    OP'd by jbrow397:
    We held court on the Internet and as usual, all parties are held in contempt.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast