Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Owners: Bit of a warning

All it takes is a wrong bolt landed in the wrong bin at the factory.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    The manual states:

Getting a precise torque on the screw sounds better to me than having variations in "hand tightened" methods. That said, I guess I'll be doing the hand tightening method in the future if I can get this screw out with an extractor.
    "Sounds better" doesn't always equate to "works better"

Quote Originally Posted by hootguy View Post
    wow,,for a riffle of that price,,i would expect a bit better quality,,,cheap bolts shouldn't be on there....proper graded ones would show care and quality,,,not to mention cheap ass Helicoils,,,,ever hear of timserts????,,,,way better process than helicoils,,,but a bit more expensive,,,i guess they dont make enough profit on their guns,,,LOL..

Sure you can stick a grade eight bolt in there... But what do you do after it rips/shears out a huge chunk of aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by captainamazing View Post
    Had the same issue with "aircraft grade" components that I was using on a Bell 214. Bolt heads kept sheering off when torqued to spec. Turns out the Vancouver B.C. company where the parts were made was actually just getting them shipped from China with some really whacky metallurgy. RA may or may not be to blame as I doubt they manufactured the bolt.

Heck, Air Force One has problems themselves dealing with subpar counterfeit parts...

I had something similar happen, barrel would come lose and fall of when i lower the gun. After trying everything i could think of, sent it back to wolverine and they took care of it. For free.

Not too sure about the rifle, but the guys at wolverine are really trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamazing View Post
    Had the same issue with "aircraft grade" components that I was using on a Bell 214. Bolt heads kept sheering off when torqued to spec. Turns out the Vancouver B.C. company where the parts were made was actually just getting them shipped from China with some really whacky metallurgy. RA may or may not be to blame as I doubt they manufactured the bolt.
    Many years ago I remember watching a 60 minutes segment about Chinese airplane parts being sold as original quality ones. The resellers were making a very tidy profit. This was discovered after the investigation of what caused an airliner to crash killing all aboard, a bolt was the cause here.
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate"

It looks like Wolverine is setting you up with a new bolt, those guys are phenomenal.

My tip for you is not to worry about the torque wrench or specs. I used to be a mechanic, now I'm a professional armourer. I never use torque wrenches, namely because I've never found an accurate one and also have never found any metals to be perfectly consistent. With a little patience and understanding, you don't need them.

Triple-torque your way to greatness. I'm sure there's a good video out there that explains exactly why this works, but here's the deal:

Anything with threads will not properly match up when initially turned in. For example, only every second or third thread is actually mated properly. So when you just put the bolt in and start tightening and torqueing, only half the threads are then taking all that force. Go hand tight (snug), back off slightly, tighten more, back off, and tighten again. You'll notice when you do it that the bolt tightens further each time. This greatly increases the mating of the threads, therefore reducing the chance of breakage and also of it coming loose.

I don't have an XCR but my problem with loctite and guns is that guns have a tendency to get warm, and loctite releases with heat. Even on scope rails and rings I don't use Loctite and they never come loose on their own. It's hard to tell from the picture but it would surprise the heck out of me if they actually installed a heli-coil from factory, hopefully that's a proper threaded insert. Heli-coils are normally installed when you mess up the original threads and aren't as good as factory threading or inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
    I had something similar happen, barrel would come lose and fall of when i lower the gun. After trying everything i could think of, sent it back to wolverine and they took care of it. For free.

Not too sure about the rifle, but the guys at wolverine are really trustworthy.
    I'm actually fairly surprised that the rifle kept feeding fairly well even after that barrel bolt had worked itself loose enough for me to just unscrew it by hand. Granted there were some stovepipes as, I'm assuming, the extractor wasn't grabbing the casing properly and failing to fling it free, but all that was required on my end was to manually rack the charging handle most of the time.

I had one failure to feed with the round only going half way into the chamber and jamming itself there, but that was easily solved by yanking the mag out and cycling the charging handle as well. Pretty easy manual of arms on this rifle at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick793 View Post
    It looks like Wolverine is setting you up with a new bolt, those guys are phenomenal.

My tip for you is not to worry about the torque wrench or specs. I used to be a mechanic, now I'm a professional armourer. I never use torque wrenches, namely because I've never found an accurate one and also have never found any metals to be perfectly consistent. With a little patience and understanding, you don't need them.

Triple-torque your way to greatness. I'm sure there's a good video out there that explains exactly why this works, but here's the deal:

Anything with threads will not properly match up when initially turned in. For example, only every second or third thread is actually mated properly. So when you just put the bolt in and start tightening and torqueing, only half the threads are then taking all that force. Go hand tight (snug), back off slightly, tighten more, back off, and tighten again. You'll notice when you do it that the bolt tightens further each time. This greatly increases the mating of the threads, therefore reducing the chance of breakage and also of it coming loose.
    This does make sense! I'll be sure to try this method when installing the next barrel bolt/screw.

I am sitting in Joberg waiting for the next flight to Mozambique so can not help you directly but I see that Guy and Grumpy have already replied. Aside from our flooding we will look after you. We will require the serial number so we can report back to Rob Arms and they can look into their bolts. A few points for the record:

Wolverine Supplies is the exclusive importer for Rob Arms so we handle all warranty claims an provide full support.

Grumpy is correct we torque all XCR barrel bolts to 250 inch lbs. do not use lock tite. I use oil, I learnt when working on engine cylinder head bolts to use oil, allows for a more accurate seating. After a lot of use throw the bolt away and use a new one in order to maintain an accurate torque, but I mean after years of use, this is because over multiple use the threads can stretch.

I don,t regard this bolt as a problem as we have only heard of a handful of complaints out of thousands of rifles sold.

The helicoil is required as you are tightening a steel bolt into an aluminum reciever.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    OP I hope it all works out for you. Wolverine are good people.

I learn so much on this site, thanks to the posters with the technical know how.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast