Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Owners: Bit of a warning

Quote Originally Posted by captainamazing View Post
    RA may or may not be to blame as I doubt they manufactured the bolt.
    RA is the one that puts their name on the rifle, they are on the hook for the quality control of the entire product. That includes evaluating the quality control of the suppliers they source components from, monitoring their compliance and changing suppliers if necessary.

My experience is that often its not the "torque" that caused the failure, but rather an unintentional bending moment put on the screw head while torquing. It is easy to unintentionally "bend" the screw when using a torque wrench with a long handle.

I've never seen a mastercrap torque wrench in in/lbs that actually worked. The ft/lbs ones are fine. They click hit and miss. That would be my guess for what happened.

It has worked wonders for me before, up to 225 in-lbs. Has always clicked pretty loudly for me. I've probably used it on other stuff about 10 times this year alone... Never given me grief before. I doubt it was the wrenches fault as others have already chimed in saying they have experienced similar problems with this particular bolt.

CGN Regular
    I have a couple of the MC torque wrenches in in & ft lbs, been using them for years (on bikes though, not firearms) and never had an issue.

Though, actually the simple beam type torque wrenches are more accurate, never go out of adjustment and are considerably cheaper... They just suck for a lot of applications where you have to use it at any odd angle. For firearms, I'd probably just go with one of those, since you're probably not going to have access issues or have to work upside down.

...or there's always the easiest option, the Armstrong torque wrench =) Wish I had a pic of the torque wrench that goes with the Leopard (tank), it's a few feet long and just about a two man lift... went up to something like 300 lb/ft IIRC.
    Last edited by flashman; 07-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bc308 View Post
    I hope that red colour is not indicating the presence of red Loctite. If it was assembled with red Loctite, you need to get your receiver to someone with experience, as that screw is next to frozen in there, as far as basic hand tools are concerned. Some precise drilling and screw extraction are in order.
    that's what I suspected as well, red and you are hooped
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

CGN Ultra frequent flyer F22_RaptoR's Avatar
    The red loc-tite is for the Heli-coil FYI, that way there is no way it can ever come back out, they would let it fully cure before installing any bolts.

As for the bolt, it definitely looks like a metallurgical defect. A 1/4" bolt would take a lot more than 200 or 250 inch pounds to break, unless it was defective.

Wolverine is already on the ball though, they are great with warranty support on the RA stuff :D

well boys the canadian tire torque wrenches are not the greatest
    snapped a crank sprocket bolt in a block last week using mine
    now that sucked, what drive size is that wrench?
    that seems like a boat load of torque for such a small bolt, I had to mount a bumper on an old bmw which had massive lag-type bolts 4 inches long and a T55 head, those only called for 65ft/lbs i dunno maybe it's a typo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hotwheels81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by md519 View Post
    well boys the canadian tire torque wrenches are not the greatest
    snapped a crank sprocket bolt in a block last week using mine
    now that sucked, what drive size is that wrench?
    that seems like a boat load of torque for such a small bolt, I had to mount a bumper on an old bmw which had massive lag-type bolts 4 inches long and a T55 head, those only called for 65ft/lbs i dunno maybe it's a typo
    200in lb's =16.6ft lb's

Beam or dial TQ wrenches are more accurate than clickers... That said I have a few snap-on industrial's (CDI) that I use quite often.

A left handed drill bit and a center punch an id have that out in 10-15min with a spiral extractor... But if warranty is going to deal with it just smile and say thank you.... And then buy a new TQ wrench off amazon.ca
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I live by a simple code, empty clip an then reload.

BANNED
    In your original post, you mention "...to the recommended 200 inch-lbs" yet here the manual says: "Use a maximum of 200 inch-lbs." Does it say elsewhere in the manual that 200 inch-lbs is in fact recommended?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    The manual states:

Getting a precise torque on the screw sounds better to me than having variations in "hand tightened" methods. That said, I guess I'll be doing the hand tightening method in the future if I can get this screw out with an extractor.
    Last edited by CoonT; 07-04-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: comma derp

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast