Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Owners: Bit of a warning

XCR-M Owners: Bit of a warning

I'm posting this here because IIRC, Wolverine Supplies is the main/only importer of RA stuff into Canada.

Yesterday I was out shooting on Canada day. Put about 150 rounds through my XCR-M before I started getting some stovepipes and various other misfeeds. Turns out the barrel screw was working its way lose. I immediately stopped shooting after finding this out.

On returning home I busted out the XCR-M manual to find out what I needed to tighten that screw up to. Turns out it's supposed to be 200 in-lbs1. Well, what happened is not what was expected... I set my torque wrench to 2002 and went to turning. The result was the following:

So to other owners, I warn you to be wary of tightening that barrel screw to the recommended 200 in-lbs. I'm not sure exactly at what weight the screw sheared off, but I'd hazard to guess it was fairly close to that mark. Maybe my screw was just faulty, and hopefully I can get it fixed.

I have no idea how I'm going to go about getting this fixed though. I've never had to deal with the head of a screw being sheared off before. This rifle was purchased from The Shooting Edge in Calgary, I'm assuming that they got it from Wolverine Supplies and didn't import it themselves. When I purchased it they told me that the only "warranty" they had was that if something was "obviously broken" right out of the box.

@Wolverine Supplies: I've already emailed RA directly with this information. I'm trying to find out if the 200 in-lbs in the manual is incorrect or not. Is there anything you can do to help me out with this under any kind of parts warranty? Obviously this particular screw couldn't handle the stress of 200 in-lbs. Rifle was purchased September 13, 2013. 400 - 500 rounds through it.

References:
    1. Screenshot of the manual, showing 200 in-lbs.
    2. Picture of torque wrench setting.

CGN frequent flyer twincamharley's Avatar
    are you sure you didn't set it to ft lbs and not inch lbs ?

Nope, see the reference picture of the torque wrench. This torque wrench only goes up to 250 in-lbs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by twincamharley View Post
    sure you didn't set it to ft lbs and not inch lbs ?
    His picture looks like in/lbs.

You can pick up an 'screw/extractor' bit and get that out no problem. Buy another hex bolt from Wolverine and do the Hand tightening method this time.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    I thought as long as you tighten the barrel nut so the nut by hand to the point where it will not get more tighter?
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew3081 View Post
    I thought as long as you tighten the barrel nut so the nut by hand to the point where it will not get more tighter?
    The manual states:
    Screw in the Barrel Bolt with a 1/4” Allen wrench. Lightly hand tighten the screw. Over tightening can ruin the Upper Receiver. Use a maximum of 200 inch pounds. If you do not have a torque wrench, turn till hand tight then try to turn another 70 degrees by hand to ensure barrel is in tight.
    Getting a precise torque on the screw sounds better to me than having variations in "hand tightened" methods. That said, I guess I'll be doing the hand tightening method in the future if I can get this screw out with an extractor.

CGN frequent flyer twincamharley's Avatar
    I see that now , that looks like a Cdn Tire part number, that could explain your problem, I have taken 3 of them back as they would not torque properly

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    I never had issues with my XCR just by using hand tightening...
    What?

CGN Regular
    Wow, seriously that must have been a cheezy bolt....the broken piece looks like it is threaded into a 'heli-coil'. Unless really competent, leave the extraction to a gunsmith/ machinist. I would check your torque wrench as well, just sayin, sorry to see you had such a problem.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast