Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Owners: Bit of a warning

My friend broke the exact same bolt on his XCR on Tuesday of this week. He is also being shipped a new bolt from Wolverine.

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberguard View Post
    My friend broke the exact same bolt on his XCR on Tuesday of this week. He is also being shipped a new bolt from Wolverine.
    Once we are able to get back into the shop we can definitely help out all the folks with this issue. However please be cognizant of that fact that we are shut down due to flooding and road closures. Although I do sympathize with any inconvenience this may cause, it is way beyond our control at this time.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    Once we are able to get back into the shop we can definitely help out all the folks with this issue. However please be cognizant of that fact that we are shut down due to flooding and road closures. Although I do sympathize with any inconvenience this may cause, it is way beyond our control at this time.
    Let us know when the Royal Canadians come, open your door with your keys, then break the door and as many windows as possible, and take all your firearms.

Hey unless they are now bringing Chinooks in, there is nothing to worry about.

It states a MAXIMUM! Not that it NEEDSTo be! Hope u can reverse it out, ur torque wrench is likely out on its read, u were prob. Closer to 250

Quote Originally Posted by aaron042671 View Post
    It states a MAXIMUM! Not that it NEEDSTo be! Hope u can reverse it out, ur torque wrench is likely out on its read, u were prob. Closer to 250
    Testing has shown that the best accuracy results in a barrel bolt torque of 250 inch pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post

The helicoil is required as you are tightening a steel bolt into an aluminum reciever.
    Quite right. I was just about to mention this, considering the remarks where some thought the heli-coil had to be from a repair job. Not so, as Mr. Wolverine correctly states. Where an aluminum part meets a steel (ferrous) part (like a screw), it's the breeding ground for galvanic corrosion. The heli-coils are made of stainless and provide a non-corroding thread bearing surface between the two so that they don't seize up. Another twist is if you have stainless on stainless, where you can get a "galling" effect on the surfaces because of the spikey molecular nature of stainless steel (but not in this case). They now have "Nitronic' stainless heli-coils to help out in such cases. Those with stainless firearms may want to keep this in mind if you ever need to do a heli-coil installation FWIW.
    But yeah, get someone with the tools and experience to do the broken thread removal for you, whatever method of removal you decide on.
    Cheers.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Monty457 View Post
    Quite right. I was just about to mention this, considering the remarks where some thought the heli-coil had to be from a repair job. Not so, as Mr. Wolverine correctly states. Where an aluminum part meets a steel (ferrous) part (like a screw), it's the breeding ground for galvanic corrosion. The heli-coils are made of stainless and provide a non-corroding thread bearing surface between the two so that they don't seize up.
    Cheers.
    Covered on p 2...

Quote Originally Posted by flashman View Post
    It looks like exactly that - apart from repairing stripped threads, HeliCoils are also used where steel studs/bolts go into aluminum, the steel / steel thread is much less likely to strip or seize. Makes sense, with an aluminum upper and steel bolt. It'll save the threads over the life of the weapon.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sprint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twincamharley View Post
    I see that now , that looks like a Cdn Tire part number, that could explain your problem, I have taken 3 of them back as they would not torque properly
    This...

Hey are ####. And its a known issue. They do not break at the indicated torque.

Good to know, I just got my pistol mags from Wolverine and will be taking my XCR-M out to play. I have a calibrated snap-on 3/8 drive torque wrench if I have any issues. I've fired 1000+ rounds out of an XCR-L and I've never heard of this, maybe it's an M issue only? I've never torqued anything on a firearm before, but at work I torque flanges all the time and I know that recommended torque values are different for 'wet' and 'dry' torque jobs ie: wet means lubricant or never seize on the threads and dry means nothing applied to the threads. Oh ya: I hope you get your shop squared away quickly from the flooding. I've had my house flood before from frozen waterlines when I was working out of town- it sucks!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast