Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LAR15 pistol mags and non-restricted rifles.

LAR15 pistol mags and non-restricted rifles.

So I'm considering buying a 'black' rifle. I have my eye on Norinco's M305.

Will this rifle accept the LAR15 pistol magazine?

I've tried to look around a various sites to find a list of non-restricted rifles that will accept this magazine - but so far no luck.
    Can anyone point me to such a list?

CGN frequent flyer
    No.

How did you get the PAL?

Quote Originally Posted by chicu1981 View Post
    No.

How did you get the PAL?
    Well, I took the course.

I assume the sarcastic implication of your post is that they teach (at the course) which non-restricted rifles accept the LAR15 magazine? Because they sure did not at the course I attended.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chicu1981 View Post
    No.

How did you get the PAL?
    So you come in a forum called newbie FAQ and then give people a hard time for not knowing something? Nice work buddy way to welcome people to the sport.

CGN Regular
    LAR15 mags are AR type mags so you are looking for NR rifles that use AR mags. For bolt actions it would be the Mossberg MVP or for semis the Keltec SU 16. I'm sure someone else can name more semis but that's all I have off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TPeck View Post
    LAR15 mags are AR type mags so you are looking for NR rifles that use AR mags. For bolt actions it would be the Mossberg MVP or for semis the Keltec SU 16. I'm sure someone else can name more semis but that's all I have off the top of my head.
    OK thanks,

but in my interweb searches I've come across LAR15 'adapters' - so my thoughts were that the magazine could be used in other formats.
    Maybe I misunderstood what I was looking at/reading at the time.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
    Well, I took the course.

I assume the sarcastic implication of your post is that they teach (at the course) which non-restricted rifles accept the LAR15 magazine? Because they sure did not at the course I attended.
    I think he was saying it because an LAR15 mag is designed for 223 Remington, not 308 Winchester that the m305 is chambered for. Major difference right there.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

The Norinco M305 (copy of the M14) is chambered in .308 Winchester caliber. LAR-15 pistol and *50 Beowulf pistol magazines will fit the 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington cartridge. Those magazines will not work with the M305. You will only find 5/xx pattern magazines (riveted to 5 rounds only). There are no pistol based magazines for the M14/M305 type rifle, only *IWI bolt action mags.

The AR10 type platform can utilize the AR10 pistol magazines. Look up the Robinson Arms XCR-M micro pistol. It uses AR10 type pistol magazines. Robertson Arms rifles (not the pistol of course) are non-restricted. They are available in Canada and are also quite expensive.

The Norinco M305 is a good choice. Affordable, reliable and durable. Designed to be used mainly with the "iron" sights. It is best to learn to shoot with iron sights as well. One can mount a scope but you will need to purchase an additional mount for the rifle. When using a scope on the M305 the mounting height is far from ideal (very high to the bore axis) and you will need a cheek riser or pad mounted to the butt-stock as well. All of those extras add a bunch of weight to an already heavy rifle ~ 9lbs. Also be aware the M305 has an extremely harsh recoil impulse that is very hard on scopes.

Anyways, I'm rambling on well beyond what you asked. I felt the need to do so due to the nature of the question asked (can tell you are just learning about this hobby) in the thread and the poor response you initially received. Keep reading and researching before you spend your way into anything. We all need to start somewhere and learn about things somehow. It's also nice to receive a productive answer with an explanation rather then sarcastic comments.

Cheers
    Last edited by stvjeep; 07-20-2014 at 12:15 AM. Reason: *corrected errors
    PAL is required for all ammo/firearms sales immediately after buyer states "I'll take it". Failure to do so will result in the loss of your first to claim it position. Shipping insurance is extra and must be requested.

M-305 is an M1A1/M14 clone and is a .308. LAR-15 mags fit AR type rifles (.223/5.56 caliber). So no they will not work in an M-305. LAR-15 mags will work in CSA-858's with an adapter, Robinson Arms XCR-L's, H & K SL-8 with an adapter, Mossberg MVP bolt actions, Ket-Tec SU-16's, Remington 7615 pump action etc. etc. there is no list out there for you, but any .223/5.56 mm advertised to take AR mags will accept them. They will not fit .308's

Stejeep beat me to it. I don't type fast enough

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast