Thread: Training experience with WGT

Training experience with WGT

Hello all I just wanted to do a review of the training course offered by WGT Consulting my wife and I did just this last weekend.

To start I would like to give a little background, my wife and I have only been shooting for 2 years (never shot a gun before that) and have only been shooting pistols for about a year. We have had no one to teach us anything, we are completely self taught (minus the internet and our safety courses). We had taught ourselves a lot, but felt stalled in our development, hence why when we found WGT we thought that it might be a really good experience.

We had contacted William mid week about the next course that would be available and he gave us the dates, but more than that, he offered to run a course for just the two of us at our convenience. In less than two days he had made all the arrangements, including accommodating our request for a course in just two days, which took place this past weekend. He also had no issues with my wife bringing her own pistol, as well as bringing a variety of pistols for me to try out and discover what I liked.

The classroom portion – It started out with some safety stuff that anyone who already had their RPAL would know, but was a great overview and would be useful to anyone who hadn’t handled a pistol before. He went into the mechanics of the pistol and how things worked beyond the safety course, but not too much to overwhelm you, or make you feel like you’re in an armourers course. He explained the main reasons for failures and went through with us how to evaluate and clear them properly. He also taught us how to properly draw and present our pistols. The emphasis on this was not speed, it was doing it slowly, properly and safely which was great because neither my wife nor I had ever drawn a pistol from a holster.

The outside portion – He let me handle the various pistols to help me determine which one felt the best to me including a Glock 17, Sig P226, and a 1911. He then got us set up to start shooting and went over the range instructions with us. We started close with big targets and he had us shoot a few groups one at a time. With some instruction we could see our group sizes begin to shrink. After a few rounds of shooting he changed the targets to half the size and showed us how if we applied our skills learned from the big targets, we could achieve the same results. He continued to work with us one-on-one to get our group sizes smaller, he showed us different techniques and things we could work on to improve our shooting. He challenged us to keep improving as our shoots became more consistent, having us focus on different things, like site picture, trigger control and speed to ensure that we could make great shots every time. After it was all done, we got to see how far back we could go and still make effective shots, shoot some steel (which we have never had the opportunity to do) and he made little games out of it to make it fun.

All in all William was a good instructor and really easy to talk to. He made us feel welcome, open to all questions, and made it feel like we were just a bunch of friends going shooting together to have fun. I would recommend this course to anyone who is looking for a basic pistol course, to learn about pistol shooting, or as a follow up to the RPAL course for those who don’t have friends or family to who can show how to shoot accurately and use a holster safely. If you are looking for a high speed low drag tactical course, this is not it, but I feel like this is a great base course that you can move forward from into different courses and competition.

There were only two cons that I did have with the course:
    1. We didn’t want to leave. After getting in the car my wife and I agreed that we were having so much fun, that we wished we could keep shooting.
    2. I now have Sig Sickness and my every waking thought is about getting another Sig in my hands.

Mike

Business Member
    Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm glad you guys had a good time.

Will