$vboptions[bbtitle]

Thread: "Pending RCMP Facility Inspection"

CGN Regular

Question "Pending RCMP Facility Inspection"

Hello Frank,

On the M14.ca site, under 'Gunsmithing', it states "Pending RCMP Facility Inspection". I was curious, why? What governs the "inspection"? You are not a firearms manufacturer. Did you have to submit your M14.ca designs to RCMP?

Thank you.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
    Hello Frank,

On the M14.ca site, under 'Gunsmithing', it states "Pending RCMP Facility Inspection". I was curious, why? What governs the "inspection"? You are not a firearms manufacturer. Did you have to submit your M14.ca designs to RCMP?

Thank you.
    Gunsmiths are licenced under the firearms act. In order to be licenced, inspections of gunsmithing facilities are part of the process of licensing.

Gun parts are not subject to RCMP approval, save for regulated parts like receivers.
    Member: CPC, CSSA, CSC, CDTSA, ATHL, ex-NFA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Business Member
    Thanks for writing T. No, we do not submit product designs to the RCMP for review, it is not necessary for the type of manufacturing we do but this is correct: "...inspections of gunsmithing facilities are part of the process of licensing." Our gunsmithing license would have been issued pending an inspection of our facility, however, due to growing product demand at M14.ca, we decided not to release a pre-built M14. Note: "gunsmithing" is a misnomer in this context. Our plan is to build M14s, hence the requirement to obtain a gunsmithing license for the build and resale of those rifles but this won't happen until well into 2015.
    M14.ca + Official Forum
    Blackfeather "RS" Rifle Stock
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    Direct email: info@m14.ca Tel. 250-888.9982
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    Gunsmiths are licenced under the firearms act. In order to be licenced, inspections of gunsmithing facilities are part of the process of licensing.

Gun parts are not subject to RCMP approval, save for regulated parts like receivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by M14.CA View Post
    Thanks for writing T. No, we do not submit product designs to the RCMP for review, it is not necessary for the type of manufacturing we do but this is correct: "...inspections of gunsmithing facilities are part of the process of licensing." Our gunsmithing license would have been issued pending an inspection of our facility, however, due to growing product demand at M14.ca, we decided not to release a pre-built M14. Note: "gunsmithing" is a misnomer in this context. Our plan is to build M14s, hence the requirement to obtain a gunsmithing license for the build and resale of those rifles but this won't happen until well into 2015.
    Thank you both for replying.

Now that makes more sense, regarding the gunsmithing license, in regards to M14 production. Was just concerned that there was some "legalize" requirement for a gunsmithing licenses pertaining to firearm stocks (i.e. 3D printed prototype of a shotgun foregrip).

Quote Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
    Thank you both for replying.

Now that makes more sense, regarding the gunsmithing license, in regards to M14 production. Was just concerned that there was some "legalize" requirement for a gunsmithing licenses pertaining to firearm stocks (i.e. 3D printed prototype of a shotgun foregrip).
    There is not. And you can still carve stocks out of wood too.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Regular
    do this mean the improved mag release for the type 97 is dependent on this future inspection being that it is a part directly on the receiver?
    I am pro cake.

Everybody slow down.

Making parts for guns is unregulated. No inspection required.

Being a business that does gunsmithing work on guns, either for repair or receiver modification requires a licence. That would require a facility inspection.

Not gun part inspections.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet
    I was kinda hopin it meant a Canadian made receiver, a tall order I know, but I can see the need to be licenced if building guns for resale and fitting builds to stocks.

an ya, no licence required other than a standard business licence for turning out stocks, parts and accessories.

I needed an inspection do get my business firearms license just to apply Cerakote as a business. Gunsmithing is listed as the business activity even though I am only applying Cerakote. This allows me to work on customer's firearms or parts or devices. There were quite a few requirements just for the shop itself relating to security. I get it though. I wouldn't want the seedier types applying for a gunsmithing license just to get their hands on items that might be prohibited for them to possess otherwise without a thorough inspection and background check. It's all good.