I am completely confused about the body armour act and if it is legal,where to buy?

southlandrise

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completely confused about the body armour act and if it is legal,where to buy?

In BC's government website, I found the following information, which tells people that if you have a PAL, you can buy and use body armour without permit. Problem is, when I searched the regulation and the Act, I couldn't find the information about using( in here we know is wearing) body armour by a PAL holder. I know law is very straight and possession does not mean usage.

So as a PAL holder, I can buy a body armour. Can I also wear it?

Link is at the bottom.

Who May Possess Body Armour WITHOUT a Permit
Individuals exempt from requiring a permit to possess body armour while performing the job on which the exemption is granted are:

Those who have a valid B.C. security worker licence authorizing them to provide the services of an armoured car guard, a private investigator, a security consultant, a security guard and / or a body armour salesperson.
Peace officers, sheriffs, corrections officers and conservation officers.
Those employed by the government if wearing body armour is required or allowed in the course of the person's employment.
Security guards registered as a gaming worker under the Gaming Control Act.
Individuals who possess a valid firearms licence issued under the Firearms Act (Canada).

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/securityindustry/body-armour/

It seems to be a bit different in Manitoba. From what I can gather in the following link, one must hold a body armor permit or provide a satisfactory reason as to why they don't need to hold a permit:

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2010/c01210e.php

I am going to try and apply for a permit just to see how the process is. It would be nice to have some added peace of mind when I am at the range or out in the bush.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

It seems to be a bit different in Manitoba. From what I can gather in the following link, one must hold a body armor permit or provide a satisfactory reason as to why they don't need to hold a permit:

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2010/c01210e.php

I am going to try and apply for a permit just to see how the process is. It would be nice to have some added peace of mind when I am at the range or out in the bush.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You need a permit in Manitoba. Alberta and BC have exceptions for PAL holders, Manitoba does not.

Keep in mind, most soft body armour will only stop handgun rounds. If you are out in the bush, most stuff out there will go through your soft armour.

What about ontario?

In all Canadian provinces except for Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba, it is legal to wear and to purchase body armour such as ballistic vests. Under the laws of these provinces, it is illegal to possess body armour without a license (unless exempted) issued by the provincial government.

Nova Scotia has passed similar laws, but are not yet in force.

Alberta and British Columbia exempts those with a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence from obtaining a separate license for body armour.

You need a permit in Manitoba. Alberta and BC have exceptions for PAL holders, Manitoba does not.

Keep in mind, most soft body armour will only stop handgun rounds. If you are out in the bush, most stuff out there will go through your soft armour.

This is very true, and I would like to have plate carriers if possible. I am 99.9% sure I won't ever be shot, but I have been accidentally shot at while hunting grouse even though I was wearing blaze orange and it's a little rattling when you are hearing a bullet fly past you...to say the least.

This is very true, and I would like to have plate carriers if possible. I am 99.9% sure I won't ever be shot, but I have been accidentally shot at while hunting grouse even though I was wearing blaze orange and it's a little rattling when you are hearing a bullet fly past you...to say the least.

I get it. But in all reality most people aren't out hunting with pistol calibre rounds. A soft vest might stop some shotgun loads but pretty much anything bigger than 223 will go right through it.

You know whats even stupider, the reason why you need a permit for body armour in Manitoba.

I get it. But in all reality most people aren't out hunting with pistol calibre rounds. A soft vest might stop some shotgun loads but pretty much anything bigger than 223 will go right through it.

I completely understand what you are saying. I always wore a soft vest shooting pistols growing up so I have a tendency to want to wear something that can stop a stray round if possible, even though in all likely hood it is entirely unnecessary.

*Edit* - OP, I seem to remember seeing either empty plate carriers or body armor for sale at SFRC a few months back.

Yes. You can use and possess it. You posted the exact section that permits PAL holders to possess and use without permit.

There is no trick. Possession includes wearing, aka using. You're thinking too hard.

Thanks for the clearance. Now does anybody know where to buy a plate vest in greater Vancouver?

Most surplus stores ell them. I wear armour 95% of the time when I'm shooting...even if it's at the range...never know if some retard will shoot without knowing the rules...it's happened numerous times.

I was in the Arizona dessert a few years ago and you could hear someone shooting in the distance which happens all the time.
then I heard something fly by with a warbling buzzing sound. how close do you think that was to hear it like that ??
sorry don't mean to derail the thread .

Guys, I'm a bit worried. There seems to be an October,7,2015 update on the body armour control act: http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_09024_01

It doesn't seem to mention anything about a PAL license anymore. I remember seeing a section that mentions that people with PALs are exempted and can acquire body armor without a permit. I don't see it anywhere anymore. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

(For people that live in BC)

Update: My mistake. I was looking at the main body armor control act. The firearms license part is under the body armour control regulation. http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/203_2010

Last edited:
AS a PAL holder you can buy and use body armour, however you can't wear it to and from the range or while cutting the grass, you have to wear it at the range while engaged in shooting activities. I have requested clarification if it can be worn while hunting, but I have not heard back from the ministry. I spoke to an RCMP member who told me as long as you are not part of the criminal underworld chances of being charged are minimal. Finding a dealer that will sell to you may be a challenge though. Just my 2 cents.

AS a PAL holder you can buy and use body armour, however you can't wear it to and from the range or while cutting the grass, you have to wear it at the range while engaged in shooting activities.

BS

Post up the offense that is committed by a person with an exemption or permit commits if wearing the armor not while shooting/at the range.

Shawn

Back
Top Bottom