Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am completely confused about the body armour act and if it is legal,where to buy?

I am completely confused about the body armour act and if it is legal,where to buy?

In BC's government website, I found the following information, which tells people that if you have a PAL, you can buy and use body armour without permit. Problem is, when I searched the regulation and the Act, I couldn't find the information about using( in here we know is wearing) body armour by a PAL holder. I know law is very straight and possession does not mean usage.

So as a PAL holder, I can buy a body armour. Can I also wear it?

Link is at the bottom.

Who May Possess Body Armour WITHOUT a Permit
    Individuals exempt from requiring a permit to possess body armour while performing the job on which the exemption is granted are:

Those who have a valid B.C. security worker licence authorizing them to provide the services of an armoured car guard, a private investigator, a security consultant, a security guard and / or a body armour salesperson.
    Peace officers, sheriffs, corrections officers and conservation officers.
    Those employed by the government if wearing body armour is required or allowed in the course of the person's employment.
    Security guards registered as a gaming worker under the Gaming Control Act.
    Individuals who possess a valid firearms licence issued under the Firearms Act (Canada).

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/securityindustry/body-armour/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Yes. You can use and possess it. You posted the exact section that permits PAL holders to possess and use without permit.

There is no trick. Possession includes wearing, aka using. You're thinking too hard.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fiddler's Avatar
    If you're a PAL holder, you can buy any armor you want. Have a great day
    When all else fails, Bark like a dog !

It seems to be a bit different in Manitoba. From what I can gather in the following link, one must hold a body armor permit or provide a satisfactory reason as to why they don't need to hold a permit:

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2010/c01210e.php

I am going to try and apply for a permit just to see how the process is. It would be nice to have some added peace of mind when I am at the range or out in the bush.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    "No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave." - James Burgh

The cake is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkOfLight View Post
    It seems to be a bit different in Manitoba. From what I can gather in the following link, one must hold a body armor permit or provide a satisfactory reason as to why they don't need to hold a permit:

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2010/c01210e.php

I am going to try and apply for a permit just to see how the process is. It would be nice to have some added peace of mind when I am at the range or out in the bush.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    You need a permit in Manitoba. Alberta and BC have exceptions for PAL holders, Manitoba does not.

Keep in mind, most soft body armour will only stop handgun rounds. If you are out in the bush, most stuff out there will go through your soft armour.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

BANNED
    That'd be ARMOUR, not armor. The whole thing is Provincial idiocy. There's no Federal law.

What about ontario?

Quote Originally Posted by rem74283 View Post
    What about ontario?
    In all Canadian provinces except for Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba, it is legal to wear and to purchase body armour such as ballistic vests. Under the laws of these provinces, it is illegal to possess body armour without a license (unless exempted) issued by the provincial government.

Nova Scotia has passed similar laws, but are not yet in force.

Alberta and British Columbia exempts those with a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence from obtaining a separate license for body armour.

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    You need a permit in Manitoba. Alberta and BC have exceptions for PAL holders, Manitoba does not.

Keep in mind, most soft body armour will only stop handgun rounds. If you are out in the bush, most stuff out there will go through your soft armour.
    This is very true, and I would like to have plate carriers if possible. I am 99.9% sure I won't ever be shot, but I have been accidentally shot at while hunting grouse even though I was wearing blaze orange and it's a little rattling when you are hearing a bullet fly past you...to say the least.
    "No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave." - James Burgh

The cake is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkOfLight View Post
    This is very true, and I would like to have plate carriers if possible. I am 99.9% sure I won't ever be shot, but I have been accidentally shot at while hunting grouse even though I was wearing blaze orange and it's a little rattling when you are hearing a bullet fly past you...to say the least.
    I get it. But in all reality most people aren't out hunting with pistol calibre rounds. A soft vest might stop some shotgun loads but pretty much anything bigger than 223 will go right through it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast