Thread: Hand gun training course

Thumbs up Hand gun training course

This summer I had the opportunity do a hand gun training session with WGT consulting. We had arranged to have a group lesson with Bill as I was up in Huntsville visiting my daughter and her family. I brought along my youngest son who is 13 and was surprised to find out that in order to shot at this Range...the minimum age was 16. (We currently live in Tennessee...where there is no Minimum age) . No matter, Bill was very accommodating and still took RJ through the drills using a plastic gun.....I asked him afterward what he thought of the training and despite not actually shooting....he felt that he had picked up a number of tips that could help his shooting skills. He also commented on how smoothly he thought Bill had gone through all the material....all while keeping his attention.

At any rate, based on the comments from our group, we would all do the training again ...any opportunity we got. We all liked Bills style of teaching....and we were a group of five with two teenagers in the mix along with a couple of us who have been shooting for a while. As I mentioned I currently live in the Tennessee and would love to do this every yr when I return to visit.....I have found in the case of firearms, the more you practice and train....the more confident you become, which improves your ability to carry and use a weapon safely.

Grumpy!

Business Member
    Thanks for the comments Grumpy. You guys were a great group to teach and I look forward to next years session.

while dry training certainly has value it doesn't even remotely compare to the experience of actual shooting. the weight of the gun (mine is 40 ounces), the recoil (45 acp) and the requirement to build up certain muscles to handle the weight and recoil from a 100 or more rounds is something that must be done live. learning when muscle fatigue is setting in and it's time to take a break is also learned so you aren't just wasting ammo. the 13 year old will have a big grin on his face when the time comes. my ATT course was 2 days, we did revolvers and then pistols, it was the first time that I had shot a handgun and the experience in the afternoon was nothing like the dry fire lessons in the morning. that being said I was grateful for the morning lessons, best to already have that info under your belt instead of hit and miss with the real thing. while I didn't have to take that particular ATT course I enjoyed it and feel that I got my moneys worth.

Business Member
    Ren666'

You are absolutely correct. Dry firing does not compare to live fire. But it is the place to start! You shouldn't be trying to figure out how to operate a firearm "on the fly". At the very least, one should have practiced all the basics dry first. Load/unload, mag changes and stoppages. Training in the fundamental skills will give you a foundation you can use to build a lifetime safe and enjoyable shooting.

Thanks for you insight. Stay safe.

Will

Today I had the privilege of taking the Hand Gun Training Course offered by WGT Consulting. Simply amazing! To elaborate, the instruction accompanied by demonstration was excellent, and the handling and firing sequences were broken down into easy-to-follow steps. What surprised me was the patience of the instructor, William. He showed a genuine interest in each participant, and would give constructive criticism following every task, even if it was repeating the same tip to four different people. His concern for safety was paramount, and this provided a safe, responsible learning environment. I would thoroughly recommend this course to anyone that has an interest in learning how to use a pistol, from any skill level. Thanks again!

Chris

Business Member
    Chris,

Thanks for the review. It was a pleasure have you on the course. It was a great group and I look forward to seeing you guys again in the spring.

Will