$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200yd Blackfeather range report

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Brutus's Avatar
    So how much do you pay for a BF rifle that one has to place muffler tape on to make it shoot better?

just curious....
    Poor or rich, farmer or holy man, a grown man answers a king's call to arms.
    So that his kith and kin will never know tyranny or harm.

By-ex paratrooper-ex peacekeeper

Probably the same as you would for a SAGE which requires a Dremel relief at the trigger group to eliminate hammer follow. But that's just a guess.

Tony.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet DOOK's Avatar
    If that tape is aluminum, the tolerance might change over time due to it being hammered thinner, wouldn't it?

It very well may. It was 0.012" at the widest part but probably about 0.006 at the very heel, so it's under some good pressure. If it loosens, I can always re-shim.

Tony.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet DOOK's Avatar
    Try finding some main engine bearing shim material. It's steel, and is thicker to the center. It would be a more permanent fix. Just glue it in place.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So how much do you pay for a BF rifle that one has to place muffler tape on to make it shoot better?

just curious....

Look at my pic above, his rifle is out of spec - not the BF stocks fault. Anyway, I didn't buy the stock for better accuracy, I think you can modify a stock Norc for accuracy without going to an aftermarket stock.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    Well I just check my norc socom in blackfeather and I do have a space at the rear of the receiver, it's less then yours, mine is about the thickness or a receipt paper folded in 2. Should I bother shimming hit?

So I snuck out to the range this afternoon to mess around with a new AR (struggling to find a load that will shoot) and to try my Blackfeathered Norc that I just shimmed as per Tony's trick. There was a 3 thousandths gap (measured using feeler gauge) under the heel of the receiver that I had not noticed before. 2 layers of aluminum tape and things seemed tight.

Shooting at 100 yards I was surprised by having to move my zero up substantially. The first group (from the left) in the pic below shows me walking my zero up and warming up the barrel. The first round was off paper, below the target.
    The second/middle group is low but fairly tight (1.45")...saw some stringing and decided to slow down my pace a bit (and adjust the scope up 2 MOA). The last group on the right was very nice (0.66")...then the rain started to come down and I packed it up. The shims seemed to help.

Really looking forward to a more in-depth range session. If the rifle shoots like this next time I think I may skip experimenting with dwell time.

“The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    Very nice! Guess I will be shimming mine tomorrow!

Wow, very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    So I snuck out to the range this afternoon to mess around with a new AR (struggling to find a load that will shoot) and to try my Blackfeathered Norc that I just shimmed as per Tony's trick. There was a 3 thousandths gap (measured using feeler gauge) under the heel of the receiver that I had not noticed before. 2 layers of aluminum tape and things seemed tight.

Shooting at 100 yards I was surprised by having to move my zero up substantially. The first group (from the left) in the pic below shows me walking my zero up and warming up the barrel. The first round was off paper, below the target.
    The second/middle group is low but fairly tight (1.45")...saw some stringing and decided to slow down my pace a bit (and adjust the scope up 2 MOA). The last group on the right was very nice (0.66")...then the rain started to come down and I packed it up. The shims seemed to help.

Really looking forward to a more in-depth range session. If the rifle shoots like this next time I think I may skip experimenting with dwell time.

Travis Kay
    http://www.traviskay.ca
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast