$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200yd Blackfeather range report

Thanks for sharing friends I still need to put my Blackfeather build together but any info to help is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    So I snuck out to the range this afternoon to mess around with a new AR (struggling to find a load that will shoot) and to try my Blackfeathered Norc that I just shimmed as per Tony's trick. There was a 3 thousandths gap (measured using feeler gauge) under the heel of the receiver that I had not noticed before. 2 layers of aluminum tape and things seemed tight.

Shooting at 100 yards I was surprised by having to move my zero up substantially. The first group (from the left) in the pic below shows me walking my zero up and warming up the barrel. The first round was off paper, below the target.
    The second/middle group is low but fairly tight (1.45")...saw some stringing and decided to slow down my pace a bit (and adjust the scope up 2 MOA). The last group on the right was very nice (0.66")...then the rain started to come down and I packed it up. The shims seemed to help.

Really looking forward to a more in-depth range session. If the rifle shoots like this next time I think I may skip experimenting with dwell time.

Awesome! I noticed a reverse effect on my POI. If you look at my eighth picture with the vertical stringing (the first picture after shimming the heel), the first group I shot after shimming was the top right orange spot. I was aiming at the bottom right orange spot and by luck, they just happened to be hitting the spot directly above it! After I shot the group, I looked through the scope and aimed at the bottom right spot and adjusted my scope to overlay the top right spot where the group was. Then I switched to the clean target and shot my five groups.

Shimming a heel WILL move your POI!!

I can't wait to see your next full range report! Good shooting!

Tony.

I know what I'll be checking and shimming tonight!
    Member of the CPC, CSSA, OFAH and NRA
    "The disarming of citizens has been a tragic and bloody failure. Violent crime has increased everywhere it's been tried as it serves only to embolden the still-armed criminal. NOT IN MY CANADA!"

Thanks to Tony and Pr589 for sharing, it makes us all a little smarter......hopefully.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuster56 View Post
    Thanks to Tony and Pr589 for sharing, it makes us all a little smarter......hopefully.
    A little smarter and a little more accurate!

Pr589 and rally guy,

I'm sitting here in anticipation of a full report! I've been checking out your previous range reports (Pr589) and I see you've been struggling with vertical stringing for a few months now. I'll be tickled pink if your next report finds a new record for your 1.5MOA challenge.

There's something to be said about moving off the 100yd line. It clearly reveals things you never knew were there at 100.

Now give us a full report already!!

Tony.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    I'm going to the range this week, we will see what she does!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBen View Post
    Pr589 and rally guy,

I'm sitting here in anticipation of a full report! I've been checking out your previous range reports (Pr589) and I see you've been struggling with vertical stringing for a few months now. I'll be tickled pink if your next report finds a new record for your 1.5MOA challenge.

There's something to be said about moving off the 100yd line. It clearly reveals things you never knew were there at 100.

Now give us a full report already!!

Tony.
    Now Tony has guilted me into going shooting....joke...just needed it to stop raining at the same time I have time to shoot. Anyway still at 100 yards but I definitely think the heel shims have largely cured my stringing issues as long as I keep the pace moderate. While things weren't as stellar as I had hoped, I still got 6 of 7 5-shot groups under 1.5". The last two groups could have been amazing except for the called pull on the second to last group and the danged 5th shot on the last.

The biggest change is that 1st round flyers are gone. It's amazing how confidence inspiring it is when one no longer has to worry where that one wild bullet will go. Maybe a few more times at 100 then I will move out to 200. Now if I can only find more 168 gn. Hornady Match bullets...

“The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

So I'd say it looks much better! Please, please, please try the 125gr TNT's!! You will be amazed! And don't spend too much time at the 100. Stretch the legs out a little!

Good job and great report! Perhaps there's some settling but those are really fine groups which are on par with what I was seeing as well.

Tony.

Metallic tape for shimming. Seems like a good idea to me. Learned something useful today.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast