$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 200yd Blackfeather range report

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    I bought a big role of aluminum tape for air ducks. If anybody need some just pm me and I will mail you some free.

Well really quick range report. I went today, the rifle was shooting like crap, 4 moa so I took out the aluminum tape a d ended up with 5 moa. Shooting norc surplus.

Got my rfb out as I was dialling in both gun for hunting next week. Shot a 1.5 moa 5 round group right out the gate and I pull the last one so it would have ben 1.25 moa with Winchester ballistic silver tip 168gr.

I got home and was kind of depressed about my m14 until I noticed my dam gas plug was about to fall of...

So question that shouldn't affect my zero?

A loose plug will effect accuracy and POI. Everything bolted to the barrel has to be tight! Keep us updated on your next report. Put the tape back on and give it a layer or 2 more than you need so there's some compression when you clamp it in to your stock.

Adding the tape and tightening the plug will effect zero.

Tony.
    Last edited by TonyBen; 10-25-2014 at 08:51 AM.

In your opinion do you think poa will be of by alot? I don't have time to go to the range as I am leaving for a hunting trip in a hour , at least it's only going to be my backup deer rifle. My rfb is my primary.

Perhaps an inch or two at 100. Much more at 200+. Take some extra ammo and test it if you can when you get to your hunting grounds. The deer will already be skittish when rifle season opens.

Tony.

So finally took the time to shoot my Norinco 22" Standard after trying the TonyBen heel bedding trick for the Blackfeather stock. Unlike those unlucky US guys, up here our stocks are worth more than the rifle so I actually applied JB Weld to the receiver heel rather than the stock.

The bedding was very easy to do and seems very solid...but it seemed pretty solid before.

Busy day at the range today getting some new members through probationary shoots, etc. Shooting some fresh pet loads (168 gn BTHP over 3031), the first few groups were disappointing with evidence of vertical stringing. After about 15 rounds the rifle seemed to settle down and group. Moved on to a fresh target and yes it was starting to group.

Then a guy wanted to stop by and chat about the Blackfeather. Yap, yap now back to shooting. First round of second group goes 3" high...CRAP! Barrel must have cooled down too much. Unloaded the mag, and substituted a few rounds of bulk Norinco which were plowed into the berm, then reloaded the handloads resulting in a nice 4 round group. The next 3 groups were good to excellent. Maybe this heel bedding stuff will actually work out. I've never had such a high incidence of sub MOA groups from this rifle before.

One more shoot at the 100 then we'll take it to 200 yards.

[IMG][/IMG]
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

Outstanding! Glad to see another Blackfeather report!

Tony.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234