how do you store your firearms?

wd123

Regular
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I keep mine secured in a cabinet. With the ammo stored in a different room.

But my question is this: do you guys bother to lock them up with trigger locks as well? Does anyone go above and beyond in their home? I know I don't need the cabinet (just the trigger locks alone would be enough), but I wanted to get it for peace of mind for my gf mainly. she is a little anti, but slowly coming around. She helped me clean an sks last night and actually handled it! That was a big step in the right direction imo. (I'll get her shooting yet... :D)

I do not trigger lock inside the cabinet. I figure in my home, if they are locked in the cabinet, then that is plenty secure. Plus this way if I ever needed one fast, it wouldn't be one more road block in my way of being able to actually use it.

Actually, it would probably be wise to keep one box of ammo in the cabinet with the guns correct? (legal I am pretty sure, provided the cabinet locks. right?) No way all the ammo will fit in there though! I bought surplus bins for that.

When I take them in my car though, I do like to put the trigger locks on them just to be extra safe in case I got pulled over.

just wondering what you folks do?

No real need for trigger lock inside a cabinet. If someone manage to force open the cabinet, they can most likely pop trigger lock in less than 30 seconds.

Of course if it makes your girlfriend safer, don't telll her what I said.

No real need for trigger lock inside a cabinet. If someone manage to force open the cabinet, they can most likely pop trigger lock in less than 30 seconds.

Of course if it makes your girlfriend safer, don't telll her what I said.

NRs are in a cabinet, Rs are in a cabinet with a trigger lock on them. Ammo is in another locked wooden box. All in a locked room. A little more than needed, but I have little kids and aren't worried about taking two minutes to get into my firearms...

When I have them in the trunk of the car NRs are in regular cases, Rs have trigger locks and are in locked cases. Either way they're in the trunk... I always make sure NO firearms related items are visible to reduce any possibility of misunderstandings...

400 pound safe bolted to my foundation in a locked room in my basement. Ammo is in a second locked safe. Firearms are all trigger locked and nothing is loaded (not even any magazines).

Overboard...? Yes! Do I care...? Nope.

I appreciate the replies and insight so far guys! thanks :) just curious as to how the rest of you do these things. I expected that most of you are probably doing more than I am. One day I'd like to make a room my secured location for my guns, but that won't be till I own my own place I think.

NRs are trigger locked, R pistols are in a small safe, no trigger locks, with mags next to them. Shells for the shotgun are with those.

100% legal, fast to access.

I just wanted to ask you. The shotgun shells are where? In the safe with the mags? btw, do you store your mags loaded?

I kinda wish we were allowed to store the guns with shells in them. But at the same, time I see the safety problem. I'd feel awful and so embarrased to have a negligent discharge. If I lived out in the sticks I'd be much more wanting to be able to store them loaded.

on youtube i have been watching vids about advice from Americans and they do store their weapons loaded it seems. If I could, I'd keep the mag tube on the shotgun loaded, just not one in the chamber. but hey we can't do that up here.

Last edited:
I keep everything in a big 500+lb safe that's bolted down, I put trigger locks on the restricted guns even though its not necessary.

Two safes just under 700lbs each, no trigger locks on anything and ammo is stored in the safes since I dont store enough ammo to warrent a ammo locker.

Currently my pistols have trigger lock, inside locked aluminum case, and inside a regular storage cabinet that has a chain lock on it. Not the best system, but should meet legal requirements until I can afford a safe.

Quick question, if my pistols has trigger lock and inside a locked aluminum case, I can keep the ammo in the same cabinet, correct?

Currently my pistols have trigger lock, inside locked aluminum case, and inside a regular storage cabinet that has a chain lock on it. Not the best system, but should meet legal requirements until I can afford a safe.

Quick question, if my pistols has trigger lock and inside a locked aluminum case, I can keep the ammo in the same cabinet, correct?

wow 3 locks!! ammo cant be readily accessible to firearm... so if something is locked its not readily accessible.. if you lock your guns in anyway then the ammo is not readily accessible to firearm so feel free to store ammo anywhere if guns are locked. ..my interp of the regs...

Everything NR and handguns has trigger locks, in CTC stack on metal cabinets. Ammo in a separate room locked in a stack on cabinet, except shotgun ammo, not enough room.

Overkill, probably but I'm good with that

I store my firearms in a UL-Listed and inspected gun safe that weighs 700lbs is bolted to a concrete floor and is fire rated for 75 minutes at 1200 F.
My ammunition is stored right beside the safe in a locked steel mechanics tool chest. Some may say that this is way overboard, however I do have some peace of mind in that I can not possibly ever be busted for improper storage.

I store my firearms in a UL-Listed and inspected gun safe that weighs 700lbs is bolted to a concrete floor and is fire rated for 75 minutes at 1200 F.
My ammunition is stored right beside the safe in a locked steel mechanics tool chest. Some may say that this is way overboard, however I do have some peace of mind in that I can not possibly ever be busted for improper storage.

You're lucky and probably don't live in the GTA.

As a person who lives in the GTA I know that if a gun gets stolen I'll get charged even if they are stored in steel vaults with walls 3 feet thick 100 feet under the ground and my yard perimeter enclosed with electrified fencing so I'll do my best to prevent that from happening.

My guns are stored in safes and the ammo in padlocked boxes.
All of the above are stored in a locked room with one barred window.
I own a trigger lock or a cable lock (lever actions) for each gun I own so I figure the best place to store the trigger lock when I'm not traveling is on the gun.
So essentially my guns are trigger locked in the safes.
Well above and beyond what the law requires.

I keep my guns trigger/cable locked and in safes for storage. I remove cylinders, bolts & slides & store in a locked case elsewhere when I'm too busy to shoot or out of town. I keep ammo locked in a metal cabinet.

Last edited:
With the actions removed, In a safe which is locked behind a metal door in a separate room located in an old 1950s bomb shelter with 4 feet re-enforced concrete walls, 10 feet underground, protected by a state of the art security system with Cameras, razor wire, an electric fence and an old beagle as a guard dog. Oh shoot... Forgot the trigger locks.

Back
Top Bottom