Store That Handgun Safely....But At The Ready...

Grumpy Wolverine

Business Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Want to keep your handgun readily accessible but still secure and to conform with our storage laws?

Hornady has a couple of solutions that just might be what you are looking for.

The first is the Hornady Rapid Gun Safe.

This safe offers a very fast, touch-free entry. It used a Radio Frequency Identification to allow instant access to your firearms or valuables.
All you need to do is place the provided wristband, keyfob or card over the reader and the safe springs open to allow you access.

The price on this unit is $260.00 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/details/16904/Hornady-Rapid-Gun-Safe.aspx

98150_460.jpg

The second unit is the Hornady Shackle Box.

This is a traditional small locking box built from heavy 16 gauge steel.

Price on these is $55.00 plus shipping and tax.
http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/details/16905/Hornady-Shackle-Box.aspx
98151_460.jpg

The first one looks cool, but would it conform to our storage laws? I was under the impression that a handgun had to be double locked, and it doesn't look like you would be able to double lock it. Plus I don't think you can have a loaded magazine. I mean if you don't need to have it double locked its kinda cool, but then you have to have your ammo stored somewhere else.

Edit - Just reread it "This safe" - so this little contraption is classified as a safe? That changes things. So technically it wouldn't need to be double locked..right?

The first one looks cool, but would it conform to our storage laws? I was under the impression that a handgun had to be double locked, and it doesn't look like you would be able to double lock it. Plus I don't think you can have a loaded magazine. I mean if you don't need to have it double locked its kinda cool, but then you have to have your ammo stored somewhere else.

Edit - Just reread it "This safe" - so this little contraption is classified as a safe? That changes things. So technically it wouldn't need to be double locked..right?

That first unit meets all the criteria of a safe. So it does change the storage requirements. Check out the CFA for exact details.

You can store loaded mags in the same safe as your handgun but I'm not sure if this one would have room for them.

EDIT - answered my own question with more looking.

Last edited:
The gun safe looks good. It's hard to tell what would fit in it though. Would a 1911 fit? I doubt my 460V would fit. :)

You use a 460V for home defense? Guess you never know if you have grizzly bear kicking down your door for a home invasion... LOL

Oh no, I wouldn't use it for home defense. :) I was just thinking of "storage requirements". There may be a problem with overpenetration if someone were to discharge a 460V indoors. Not to mention the noise. I just was using it as a funny example. For home defense, I have 911. :evil:

Anyway, it does look like a 1911 would fit. Twice the number of rounds as the 460 and with Guard Dog ammo, it isn't as likely to "leave the building".
All of this is hypothetical of course.

Good to know where to get one if I need it.

Thanks Wolverine!

KF

By the way. I got this out of the manual which you can download from the Hornady site.

"What size handgun will the RAPiD™ safe accommodate?
The RAPiD™ sleeve accommodates most 5-inch pistols, and 4-inch barreled revolvers.
Removing the RAPiD™ sleeve allows more space for larger handguns."

Back
Top Bottom