$vboptions[bbtitle]

Thread: Shot my best 300yd groups yesterday with the Blackfeather...

Shot my best 300yd groups yesterday with the Blackfeather...

I got some more ammo loaded up and made a small tweak to the operating rod guide in hopes of tightening up my long range results. I had some very good and some disappointing results.

It was a really wet day at the range and salamanders were out in full force.

After re-zeroing at 100, then 200, I hit the 300. The Hornady load I had did not do so well. I tried A-MAX's and HPBT's. 11.75" group...Ugh...

Then I switched over to my golden 168 load, this time using Nosler CC's. One group at 3.726", or 1.18 MOA and another 2.814" group, or 0.895 MOA!

This is the best I've ever shot at 300 in my life!

It also occurred to me that I've never shot 125's at 300, so I gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised. A 3.56" group, or 1.133 MOA!

The party ended there and we shot the 600. I fell apart and put 20 shots into a 17.75" group for an overall average of about 2.8 MOA.

I was really chasing my tail at 600 today. I did adjust my technique and I felt I had better control over what I was doing, but I had higher hopes. We had to cease fire a couple of times for deer again. Apparently, they like grazing in the flood lights.

The raised platform we shoot from...

Bench resters...

My firing position...

Tony.

Nice range Tony. Wish we had easier access to 600 yards.

I've never had great results from Amax in a semi-auto although they can be phenomenal in a bolt. Seems to me they like being pressed right up on the lands in order to perform.

Those are great 300 yard groups. If my rifle is shooting consistently I should push out to 300 over the next month or so although I hate having to use a spotting scope to see my bullet holes.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

With the Leupold 14.5x magnification, I can see the holes in the flourescent paper at 300. I can't see them that well on white and can't see them at all on black.

Tony.