$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put my norinco m14 on a diet?

Business Member
    If you are scoping this rifle, note that removing the M14 rear iron sights which weigh 2.8oz and adding our 3.8oz. CASM GEN II 7075 series aluminum scope mount (with backup sight) to your M14 adds only 1oz. of weight to your rifle. If you remove the stripper clip guide (which weighs 1oz.) there is effectively "0" weight gain.
    M14.ca + Official Forum
    Blackfeather "RS" Rifle Stock
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    Direct email: info@m14.ca Tel. 250-888.9982
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M14.CA View Post
    If you are scoping this rifle, note that removing the M14 rear iron sights which weigh 2.8oz and adding our 3.8oz. CASM GEN II 7075 series aluminum scope mount (with backup sight) to your M14 adds only 1oz. of weight to your rifle. If you remove the stripper clip guide (which weighs 1oz.) there is effectively "0" weight gain.
    I would like to add to that that once there you might has well remove the front site post.

if you are range shooting does weight really matter? the iron sights on the m14 are one of it's beautiful features in my opinion. for my old eyes I got a scope, but my mount allows me to keep my irons. it's fun to switch back and forth. if you're in the bush, weight matters. remember, a scope weighs, so it's not a 0 sum gain. just the opinion of an old fart, you have to decide what is best for you.

When I first asked the same question a few years ago someone reminded me of the movie the 13th warrior. "grow stronger" they said. They are a beast but you get double man points for hunting with one for coolness and they are hefty. The shorties do swing nicer for me.

http://www.m14.ca/weight/M14_BUTT_PLATE_WEIGHT

Cool but I'd like to see a scale reading with the butt plate, attaching screws, cleaning kit, & kit tube all at the same time! I'd do it myself but I don't have a scale with any sort of accuracy.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EL34/6L6 View Post
    Does the synthetic stock contribute to its weight? Is the wood stock any lighter?
    I found the Norinco "Chu" wood stock to be lighter than any synthetic stock.

Quote Originally Posted by CoonT View Post
    Stop what you're doing. Take a flat-head screwdriver and remove the butt plate from the stock. You won't believe the difference! I just did this yesterday afternoon, now it's like a whole new gun. It weighs almost 6lbs less! (almost )

That cleaning kit trap-door assembly belongs on top of a tank; not at the end of my rifle. It's off to stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopsandwhich View Post
    Rubber replacements can be had for the steel plate and ditch the cleaning kit. I'm pretty sure its close to a 1 lbs you lose off the gun.

Also maybe some weight lifting might be in order to help.
    Some very good advice above. My M14S long barrel weighs in at a bit under 8lbs with an empty 5-round mag and scope. I left the original wood stock on it, replaced the metal butt plate with a rubber one, took the junk out of the trunk , mounted a UTC aluminum alloy see-through scope mount, and topped it off with a Leupold Compact 2-7x28mm. I've taken two bucks with it. I also like the idea of a dual purpose battle / hunting rifle.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    That's good as my as out of the box shorty m305 with the cleanning kit in it ways 9.5 lbs

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet
    Re: the rubber butt pad in post 19, I've looked on the M14 site but can't seem to find it. All I see is the RBS. Not available any more?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have a synthetic stock the weight savings are greater than shown, since you can get rid of the plastic inner part which has the tubes used to store the cleaning kit in as well as the cleaning kit. If you buy the rubber butt plate you can use the existing butt plate screws, however you have to push quite hard when screwing them in since they appear to be too short, but this is not the case since the rubber butt plate consists of both rubber and a hard plastic. The rubber will compress enough to allow you to tighten the existing butt plate screws with washers. The empty weight I had on a synthetic stocked SCOM18 shorty with the rubber butt plate and an empty 20 round mag was 9.265 lbs with a heavy duty spring guide, so with an empty 5 round mag and a standerd spring guide it would have been under 9 lbs
    Last edited by rhino62; 07-20-2016 at 02:53 PM.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Juster's Avatar
    1. A sling.
    2. Carry an L1A1 around for a few years. Go on regular cross country runs with it and 30 pounds of kit. The M14 honestly won't bother you, especially with a 3-point sling.
    3. The weight pictures were good, thanks!
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast