Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 magazines across the border?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Odd Shot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrippleJesus View Post
    I know I'm going to get flamed for saying so but I've gone across the line many times and brought back ammo, 22mags and even a shotgun. As long as it's legel in Canada you can bring it in just don't get stopped on your way back to the border.
    worst advice ever.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Shot View Post
    worst advice ever.
    My favorite part? "Just don't get stopped at the border". Of course, it helps if you're a Jedi, then you can pull an " Obi-wan" and tell the border agent that "I'm not the smuggler you're looking for... "
    Last edited by GBG; 01-25-2015 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    Hello. Am I allowed to drive to the USA to buy a couple 25 round magazinesfor my
    Marlin 795 .22lr and then drive it back across the border into canada?
    Thank you for your help.
    No!
    .270 Winchester... Perfecting the .30-06 since 1925

Yes it would be illegal as stated by others. If you were bringing your rifle and your mags back from a shooting competition I doubt they would notice though. That said, it still isn't worth the trouble, and you'll be doing some canadian businesses a favor by buying their products.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson 1791
    Do something today that your future self will thank you for.

CGN Regular
    This is such a crazy thing, how the heck is joe blow in canada supposed to know he can't bring this stuff across the border? Unless the retailers are telling them they can't take it home with them how can anyone be expected to know this? I would question if the US side would actually be an issue for future visits I would expect them to confiscate the product and an explanation of the rules and nothing more. It's like the guy who declares 25 lbs of meat on his customs documents they pull him off to the side confiscate the meat and explain the rules, no fines no treats, it's unreasonable for them to expect someone to know all the laws. Even the people who enforce the rules don't know all of them. I had an interview with US customs for my NEXUS pass and even there nothing was mentioned about exporting issues. Can they realistically expect the person to know the export laws? Shouldn't CBS be informing people who call and ask that they can't export it from the US?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Far North's Avatar
    As they say ignorance of the law is no excuse. I have certainly been across the line and have drooled over many items I couldn't bring back even if they were legal in Canada. Maybe we need to educate these store owners about the money they are loosing out on. In turn maybe they can start pressuring their law makers.
    CSSA CCFR
    Canadian gun laws brought to you by government sponsored ignorance and fear mongering

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    I'm not sure if it's an internet myth but I've read that the US offered to exempt Canada from these export restrictions but our government of the day declined the offer.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shootnprep View Post
    This is such a crazy thing, how the heck is joe blow in canada supposed to know he can't bring this stuff across the border? Unless the retailers are telling them they can't take it home with them how can anyone be expected to know this? I would question if the US side would actually be an issue for future visits I would expect them to confiscate the product and an explanation of the rules and nothing more. It's like the guy who declares 25 lbs of meat on his customs documents they pull him off to the side confiscate the meat and explain the rules, no fines no treats, it's unreasonable for them to expect someone to know all the laws. Even the people who enforce the rules don't know all of them. I had an interview with US customs for my NEXUS pass and even there nothing was mentioned about exporting issues. Can they realistically expect the person to know the export laws? Shouldn't CBS be informing people who call and ask that they can't export it from the US?
    The USA takes ITAR violations rather seriously for even for minor violations. If you are caught violating export controls its likely to be a large fine possible jail time and you name added to the no-fly list. Ignorance is no defence,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 2tall2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shootnprep View Post
    This is such a crazy thing, how the heck is joe blow in canada supposed to know he can't bring this stuff across the border?
    It's pretty easy actually. Pretty much anything that is part of a firearm is illegal to bring back without proper export permits. Scopes and ammo too. And you, as a Canadian, can not do the export.
    CSSA CCFR

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall2 View Post
    It's pretty easy actually. Pretty much anything that is part of a firearm is illegal to bring back without proper export permits. Scopes and ammo too. And you, as a Canadian, can not do the export.
    Just out of curiosity where did you learn about the export ban? If I hadn't come here I would have never heard of it. No mention in PAL or RPAL class, No mention during my NEXUS interview with US customs, No mention of it when I inquired about importing. While I understand ignorance of the law is no defense, I find it to be an unrealistic expectation for a normal person to have this information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast