Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Shot Show: Leupold D-EVO Optic

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Tried it in the demo room today. Takes a bit of getting used to. The D-EVO is just the prismatic 6x non-illuminated scope mounted on the side. There is no battery source needed despite the look of the scope. It must be used with whatever holo or red dot optic of your choice. As GT says, there is a veeerrry small range for eye relief. 4" is it. You also need to have a 1/4 inch higher cheek weld. The rep says instead of just doing your normal cheek weld, pinch your cheek fat rolls and " sit" the stock on it and that would give .25"
    I found it very difficult to see the 6x while transitioning between both. Since the red dot is now the primary optic, the glow really distracts from seeing the scope. The rep says it's a matter of your brain registering the effect and the rest is practice, practice, practice. This device does not encourage any sloppiness. 1-2" either way and you won't get a good sight picture from the glass.
    Once the red dot and the D-EVO are co-witnessed, and you can actually see the glass clearly, it is quite a cool concept. Aim your red dot at any distance. If the target is too far, look down and the D-EVO will be right on it with a 6x mag. The optic goes to unnamed buyers to start and will be released to the US market in April. Not sure when it comes up here.
    The other " new" optic is SIG's Electro Optic. In simple terms, it's a battery powered red dot with a cool reticle at fixed 4x30 mag but in a rugged package and not a traditional scope tube.
    In all honesty, the Elcan Specter 1-6 or 1-4 beats them all. The quick 1-4/6 lever is the simplest system of all of these. And they're Canadian!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Edit: co-witnessed between the red dot and D-EVO is the wrong term. They do not line up. You see the red dot on top and the reticle below, hence the confusion if you are not used to it.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    I shot this on Monday. It does work, yes like any 6x optic you need cheekweld but there's no tunnel effect as you're also looking at the red dot above. There's no head movement required from looking at 1x to 6x and vice versa.

What you do need is if you're shooting from left side of barricade you're going to have to tilt the gun. Oh and the price is going to put a lot of people off.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Well, regardless of how you feel about it, you can peek around corners with this unit...

Quote Originally Posted by zupermann View Post
    Well, regardless of how you feel about it, you can peek around corners with this unit...
    Right corners only, unless you're willing to do a head-stand....

It needs 30 degree cant to clear barricade.

Elcan is still a brighter optic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    It needs 30 degree cant to clear barricade.

Elcan is still a brighter optic IMO.
    The c79? I think it's absolute garbage
    I wonder when my post count will exceed my IQ

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeil View Post
    The c79? I think it's absolute garbage
    No Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6x.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by john aeras View Post
    Right corners only, unless you're willing to do a head-stand....
    lol. They will now spend millions to develop an ambi-viewer to allow bi corner viewing

Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    In all honesty, the Elcan Specter 1-6 or 1-4 beats them all. The quick 1-4/6 lever is the simplest system of all of these. And they're Canadian!
    Specter's are about the last option I would opt for in a optics suite.

Biggest issue for a Mil user is the ability to transmit Electro Optic data due to the position of the objective lens. That is being worked on now.

DEVO commercial release won't be in April - a few new USG customers are going to get some and that is going to push it back longer
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast