Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2015 Shot Show: Leupold D-EVO Optic

There was lots of interest at the Leupold booth over this optic. If that transfers to good commercial sales...time will tell. I am on the Leupold Dealer Council and had some pre notice of this optic for our opinion and it was generally positive from a dealers perspective but the price may put it out of the reach of most consumers. Remember that price does not include a RDS as the customer has to supply that but will work with most RDS on the market. Phil.
    P&D Enterprises (Retail dealer in Arms, Ammo and Accessories)
    10552 115 St Nw
    Edmonton AB
    T5H 3K6
    Phone (780)420-6419
    Fax (780)420-1945
    Visit our Site http://www.p-d-ent.com

I was excited to see this item, but frankly after trying it out the eye relief issue made it irrelevant. For a red dot or magnifier I want quick target acquisition and this is worse than trying to use a long range scope as a red dot. The Elcan 1x3x9 was super impressive but price there like here is .....as you can imagine

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    After the show, while humming the 1980 hit single "Whip It" I am still asking myself "is it good?"

The D-EVO offers an interesting option because here the red-dot is your primary optic. In the live demonstration, shooters were instructed to acquire their target with the red-dot, then transition to the D-EVO magnification for a precise shot.

There are some clear advantages of the D-EVO over the traditional solutions:

• You don't need to move anything to change powers. Not even tilt your head. Just shift your focus and it's there.
    • It's compatible with existing red-dots. Leupold launched a new LCO red dot this year too. But if you're the kind of guy who loves his Aimpoint Comp M4 and can't let it go: the D-EVO is only 2 inches high.
    • The reticle inside is a solid shooting solution. When you switch to the 6x, you've got a clear central aiming point, but also a ladder style tree of windage and elevation holds, along with an integrated ranging reticle on the far right side. It might seem busy, but the center aiming point never gets lost.

I can also see some disadvantages that could cause people to think twice before throwing in $1,500 on this unit:

• You have to think about line of sight differently. Because the optic is looking down the side of your carbine, rather along the top, you have to rethink what you put there. If you're a left handed shooter with an aggressive grip, or the kind of person with lights or lasers in the 12-3 o'clock position, you can find yourself blocking part of the optic. This will also apply to barrier shooting, under car shooting, or whatever unusual position strikes your fancy.
    • It can be distracting. If you're going to use this, you're going to want to train extensively with it, and make sure that your brain is using the right optic at the right time. It's easy to slip from one to the other, and while your looking at the red-dot, you'll see the magnified image moving right below. Conversely, I could see having trouble focusing on the magnified image for extended periods of time.
    • You'll want to have a very consistent cheek weld. The unlimited eye relief of a regular red-dot is one of their main selling features, but the D-EVO has just under three and half inches of eye relief. You'll want to position yourself in a specific spot on the rifle to pickup the magnified image easily. Too close or two far and you could find the 6x tough to use.

The D-EVO is not the end of the discussion on integrating magnified and red dot optics. But it's certainly the most innovative solution in many years. It's something that I think any shooter should try and experience before buying to ensure that it's the right fit for them.

want! now give me a moment to wipe the drool off my chin.

Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass

I can also see some disadvantages that could cause people to think twice before throwing in $1,500 on this unit:

• You have to think about line of sight differently. Because the optic is looking down the side of your carbine, rather along the top, you have to rethink what you put there. If you're a left handed shooter with an aggressive grip, or the kind of person with lights or lasers in the 12-3 o'clock position, you can find yourself blocking part of the optic. This will also apply to barrier shooting, under car shooting, or whatever unusual position strikes your fancy.
    I have one here at my house -- Laser at 12 is not an issue - nor is a light at 3 (baring a ridiculously large light).

on a Colt M4A1 upper with KAC FRAK Rail

I put a scout light on at 3:00 to get a picture thru the lens *sorry iPhone pic - I did not center it perfectly - but you can see nothing on the rail causes issues.

Barrier and Confined space shooting is generally not going to be used with the D-EVO, that is what the CCO is for. If there is a small % target or long distances your going to need more stability than some Brokeback Flying Crane position offers.

• It can be distracting. If you're going to use this, you're going to want to train extensively with it, and make sure that your brain is using the right optic at the right time. It's easy to slip from one to the other, and while your looking at the red-dot, you'll see the magnified image moving right below. Conversely, I could see having trouble focusing on the magnified image for extended periods of time.

Yes and no - your going to want to spend time with it I agree -- however the Red Dot is the focal area when run N gunning, I have not seen any issues with the image. I will agree with you that looking at it on 6x for a while is annoying, but that is not what this is for. This is an augment to the Red Dot CCO for those who may have immediate threat concerns - where the time to rotate the mag ring on a magnified optic, or for a weapon system that does not have enough top railspace for a conventional magnified optic -- it also happens to mitigate a lot of mirage issues (like when fired on a belt fed gun of some sort)

• You'll want to have a very consistent cheek weld. The unlimited eye relief of a regular red-dot is one of their main selling features, but the D-EVO has just under three and half inches of eye relief. You'll want to position yourself in a specific spot on the rifle to pickup the magnified image easily. Too close or two far and you could find the 6x tough to use.

Agree fully -- to me - it has been pretty easy - as I find it "natural" to find it -- the only issue I have is it is too low to run in conjunction with a high mount Red Dot - which I use for NOD and Gas Mask work (I'm playing with a riser rail for the entire setup - but it does change the relationship a tad).

The D-EVO is not the end of the discussion on integrating magnified and red dot optics. But it's certainly the most innovative solution in many years. It's something that I think any shooter should try and experience before buying to ensure that it's the right fit for them.
    Once again I agree -- it's not for everyone, for many applications I prefer a variable, but I detest magnifiers, as they are clunky and always in the way or not in the way when your using them, and this solves that issue much better in my opinion.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC

Image with Scout light -- sorry I can't edit here, and missed the paste above..
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC

Maybe it is a better solution to use it on a LMG at mid to longer range? Use the redot to point the gun in the target direction. Use the 6x to locate the target and figure out the general drop, and hose it down through the red dot.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    I don't see why this couldn't be a single optic without the weird offset mirror rig.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I don't see why this couldn't be a single optic without the weird offset mirror rig.
    1) It would be long
    2) No one wants a fixed x6 sight

It was designed to do what it does for a program, end stop. The only civilian application I see is for 3 Gun Open Shooters who don't want to change the power ring...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123