Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Shot Show: Leupold D-EVO Optic

2015 Shot Show: Leupold D-EVO Optic

The Leupold D-EVO ( Dual – Enhanced View Optics ) is an interesting take of the dual optic concept, which was first popularized by Hensoldt installment on the G36. For the longest time, the biggest complaint about the dual optic setup is always about the rather elevated position of the red dot as a secondary sight. While the “chin wield” approach is a viable solution for soldiers shooting at close range, proper cheek wield is important for sports shooting as it affects execution of one of the five marksmanship principles.

The Leupold D-EVO approaches the problem by keeping the red dot as the primary optic and making the magnified optic the secondary. Instead of putting the seconding optic above the primary, it “stole” the space under the primary optic. It uses geometry to take advantage of the optical perception of depth to make the area of the eye piece larger than the area under the primary optic, so the views of both optics seamlessly stacked on top of each other when viewed by the user.

This “space saving” is achieved by placing the objective lens and prism assembly on the side of the eye piece. To compensate for horizontal offset between the prism and the line of departure, the recticle of D-EVO demonstrates a “skewed” BDC ladder.

In practice, the user needs to get into a relative small window of eye relief to see the proper sight picture. Once the proper eye relief is found, the user will just move the eyeballs to jump from the primary optic to D-EVO. Personally, I found it I had to press my cheek hard to get the proper eye relief, and there isn’t much room to wiggle around. It maybe an issue for people who need to wear helmet. On the other hand, once the user gets to the proper cheek wield and eye relief, rolling the eye ball up and down to switch between the 2 views is pretty instinctive in a way. From the ballistic compensation perspective, if ammo is not matching the BDC or the range estimate is off, you have to deal with an extra horizontal adjustment as the BDC is not a vertical line. This means walking rounds to the target is a bit more complicated.

At 13.8 oz with a fixed 6X power, the dual setup will end up about the same weight as a 1-6Xscope, or maybe even lighter, when used in conjunction with a light weight reflex or red dot sight. Overall, it is an interesting concept, but it may work better with a weapon system that has a high cheek to optic distance ( or both the D-EVO and the primary optic need to sit on a riser )

Rifle pointing up:

Right side:

Left side:

The brochure shows how the views are stacked on top of each other:

CMR type recticle with a "skewed" BDC to account for horizontal offset between optic axis and bore axis
    Last edited by greentips; 01-28-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Stolen from the M1D Garand! lol!

GT come see me tomorrow and I will show you a neat use for the DEVO.

Slight teaser - and note I am not a photographer of any skill
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC

Wow that's interesting

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    what in the sweet name of hades is that?

Glad to see they are trying something new, but looks too bulky from photos.. like it would catch on too much stuff.

CGN Regular
    $1874.99 USD "starting price" listed on Leupold's website... http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/d-evo/

I sure it's not an issue and has been tested but in the second picture it looks like the optic hangs over the ejection port too much. Thanks for making new stuff and trying new things.....but I don't see too many people wanting to send that much on this. IMHO.
    "Any idiot can piss on the floor, but it takes a real hero to sh!t on the ceiling." - Maclean Maclean

DEVO has been a government program from the get go -- we did a lot of reliability and endurance testing with Leupold on it to ensure that M16FOW weapons and other types worked well with it.
    They are commercializing it due to the demand for MIL/GOV stuff that happens.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC

I like where this is taking things...I wonder if there would be a benefit in extending the 6x tube to zigzag back in front of the red dot?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast