Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Shot Show: Winchester bolt action XPR rifle

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by wasrupzuk View Post
    So I wonder how many hours he practiced that presentation in his hotel rooms mirror...
    Make it in stainless, make it cheap and I'll give one a whirl.
    LOL...I love Ducatis...make them carbon fiber AND make them cheaper then I will get one!!! ...see what I did there? :P

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wasrupzuk View Post
    So I wonder how many hours he practiced that presentation in his hotel rooms mirror...
    Make it in stainless, make it cheap and I'll give one a whirl.
    Welcome to SHOT, everyone has a spiel.
    Bush hunter!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fraserdw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Seems like everyone is coming out with budget bolt guns these days.
    They are everywhere here. 2 years ago at the local diner during the hunters lunch, everyone had a 303 or 3006 milsurp cut down. Now I see AXIS and 770s in 3006 in every car. In NB, 400 bucks seems to be the max price a hunter will pay for a new gun. Where levers were the rage with their fathers, these young fellas like their affordable scoped bolt guns.
    Recovering soldier, 34 years. For 34 years I have apparently served a tyranny, the Canadian people have my apologies. Had I only known......

"I enforced the law as written. It was not for me to determine to morality of hostage executions, confiscation of property or the deportations. It was German law and I was a German policeman." Detective Sgt Heorgen, Koln. Trial statement 1947.

I know the introduction of this rifle is to test the " waters ".........but couldn't they put out a short action like a .308 ?.......for cryin out loud !

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by fraserdw View Post
    They are everywhere here. 2 years ago at the local diner during the hunters lunch, everyone had a 303 or 3006 milsurp cut down. Now I see AXIS and 770s in 3006 in every car. In NB, 400 bucks seems to be the max price a hunter will pay for a new gun. Where levers were the rage with their fathers, these young fellas like their affordable scoped bolt guns.
    Those old guns are not "worth it" to many new shooters...they are old, which in themselves is not necessarily bad but add that most of them lack irons (of the the few reasons I like surplus rifles), they are often sporterized in unattractive or even bubba'd ways, .303 British is NOT a cheap round and unless you roll your own and is only really available in hunting loads for $25-$30/20 rounds. They are heavier then most new guns, many have head spacing issues nows, mounting a scope on them is not as easy...that is even IF they have properly drilled and aligned holes, who knows how well the previous owners took care of it? Is there any kind of warranty on used guns? Usually no. Most newer guns, not all (waiting for someone to show me pics of what their P14 can do!) will also shoot better with less fussing around too.

The point is...for a few $100 more someone can get an entry level gun that is easier to mount a scope on (or comes with a basic one which is how most people hunt), is lighter weight, more "accurate", comes in a more common and usually cheaper caliber options and has some kind of factory/store warranty!!! For someone new to guns/hunting these are all good things!!!

I don't hate on misurpls...I own a few of them, 2x K31s and an SKS with plans to build a M1 Garand and am also hunting for a nice mauser.

I guess it had to be done by winchester. I'll hold out and keep saving for an M70.

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by samcan View Post
    I know the introduction of this rifle is to test the " waters ".........but couldn't they put out a short action like a .308 ?.......for cryin out loud !
    While AR type rifles are changing it, USA is still 30-06 crazy.
    Bush hunter!

The Savage forum motto is "Home of the barrel Nut". Soon they will have to change it to something along the lines of "we had nuts first"...lol
    I'm curious if the manufacture's are going this route solely based on cost of manufacture or it helps accuracy...or both?
    Many manufactures going to variants of the accu-trigger and barrel nut. One can hate Savage all day but they sure influenced the market and design of modern bolt action rifles.

I handled one of these at SHOT-I think the guy at the booth saw look of horror on my face immediately upon picking it up. Opened the bolt and couldnt get it back in the rack fast enough. Marginally better competition for the Remington 710/770 in my opinion.

Took the words right out of my mouth Alleycat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast