Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shot Show 2015: Savage A17 .17HMR Rifle / CCI A17 .17HMR Ammo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bollox's Avatar
    Hmmm, I don't like the idea of "optimized for xxxx rifle" ammunition. Time will tell.
    sic semper tyrannis

Very nice. The only thing preventing me from buying a .17 is that we are not permitted to use it for small game here which makes no sense to me what so ever as .22 and .22mag are good to go.
    Enjoying your freedom? Thank A Soldier !!!

You say nobody needs an AR15? Well nobody needs a whiny little b*tch either yet here you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer686 View Post
    Very nice. The only thing preventing me from buying a .17 is that we are not permitted to use it for small game here which makes no sense to me what so ever as .22 and .22mag are good to go.
    Sounds like you need to write an educated letter to some decision makers. I assume laws are caliber-based, but if you send them an explanation of the difference between a 177 pellet and a 17HMR/WSM, you may have some luck getting an amendment put in the local laws.

If they allow 22 cal, just send them some charts from reputable sources with muzzle velocity and energy/joules on target, which will provide evidence to why they are better for small game than 22LR. Don't sell out 22 like it shouldn't be allowed, just say 17HMR is not a pellet and is even better than 22.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fraserdw's Avatar
    100 round drum please!
    Recovering soldier, 34 years. For 34 years I have apparently served a tyranny, the Canadian people have my apologies. Had I only known......

"I enforced the law as written. It was not for me to determine to morality of hostage executions, confiscation of property or the deportations. It was German law and I was a German policeman." Detective Sgt Heorgen, Koln. Trial statement 1947.

BANNED
    Want....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fraserdw View Post
    100 round drum please!
    ^and a Vickers-style, water-cooled barrel please.

BANNED
    This would be all sorts of fun out in the gopher fields

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .22LRGUY View Post
    I don't think a CZ is ever a bad decision. I'm not sure if Ruger ever had a 17HMR semi (VQ stuff aside)
    Yeah, I did some "Google-foo' and found that Ruger made a 10/17 for awhile. A contributor to Yahoo Answers said, "The problem with the .17HMR is that the manufacturers could not find a happy balance between bolt weight and spring strength to ensure that the bolts would remain in battery long enough to wait out the chamber pressure spike, but still remain light enough to funciton reliably."

Therefor, the Ruger 10/17, Remington 597 and Magnum Research 10/17 were all pulled for the same reasons you state: firing out of battery. No wonder savage states that this rifle must "lock up" for a fraction of a second before cycling the bolt.

And no, I believe I will be exceptionally happy with the CZ... but I know if I had seen a year or more or great reviews I would have bought this Savage and missed out on the CZ.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Always wanted a 17.HMR... See how it rules out in terms of Canadian regulations! Would it be non-restricted or restricted? Considering the 10rd mag but again it's a rim fire!
    “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary. Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.”

OMFG

WANT

BRING IN 1000 of these please someone.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast