Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shot Show 2015: Savage A17 .17HMR Rifle / CCI A17 .17HMR Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by bollox View Post
    I think all "savage" laminate stocks are made by boyd's unless that has changed of late.
    what I'm talking about it the same B-Mag or have they changed anything on it? Bolt, etc....... that's why I asked if it's just a B-Mag in a boyd's, I like boyd's stocks but don't like the bolt or throw on them.

sign me up for one, with a twisted hvy barrel like the Mark II BSEV, the stock off a MARK II BTVSS, but dont forget the gsg 5 110 rd drum and Ill take two !

Quote Originally Posted by .22LRGUY View Post
    I'll wait and decide for myself. If the MSRP is sub-$500 and you've handled $300 Marlin XTs, $325 Ruger Americans and still don't think it's a fair price for the A17...then to each his own. I haven't handled it, but for the way I've heard this rifle described online, and by someone I know who was at SHOT, it sounds like it could be good value. For me, I'm waiting for accuracy reports before getting too revved-up about it. The CCI A17 ammo isn't a deal breaker for me, as I can't even find CCI .22 reliably in Southern Ontario. lol I have to wonder what that mega-box of it is actually going to cost if I ever even see it for sale.
    Well for what its worth I was at SHOT as well and I can tell you after handling this gun I had a new appreciation for Norinco manufactured firearms. This thing and the B-mag feel so cheap that I dont want anything to do with them. I'm not trying to be derogatory but this trend of budget firearms has me a little baffled. I fail to see the value in buying something like this when for roughly the same money you could own a CZ bolt gun and have something to be proud of. As you say- to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Beater View Post
    and ment to say, could they make the charging lever any more ugly and big? nice looking rifle other than that
    YEAH, that bolt handle is FUGLY!

... but as mentioned, semi-auto at $0.40 a pop can get pricey in a hurry. (... and I'm still stuck in the day thinking that 22 ammo is not even a nickel! lol, close to a quarter now! guess that argument just fell flat.)
    "You can get more done with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone." ~ Al Capone
    CSAAA ADFGA

ive been waiting for something like this and if its as good as review ive heard up to now i will buy it , and would buy another one if they do it in 17mach 2 this could make the little round make a come back

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sgt.rock's Avatar
    I'd say a .17hm2 in this would be AWESOME!! I think there is too much "pop" in the HMR round for semiauto rimfire designs. Time will tell. Chintzy materials don't necessarily determine performance. But I would certainly pay a premium for a quality design with quality materials. That charging handle needs to be TURFED LIKE MARK HOLLAND
    My Grandfather always said " Kid...............if you meet more than one arsehole in a day, chances are you are the arsehole. "

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoman View Post
    Well for what its worth I was at SHOT as well and I can tell you after handling this gun I had a new appreciation for Norinco manufactured firearms. This thing and the B-mag feel so cheap that I dont want anything to do with them. I'm not trying to be derogatory but this trend of budget firearms has me a little baffled. I fail to see the value in buying something like this when for roughly the same money you could own a CZ bolt gun and have something to be proud of. As you say- to each his own.
    If this "trend" has you baffled, I'd have to wonder what you're doing at that show in the first place. They sell because their is a demand for them, plain and simple. Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, Norinco...everything... Is it a "good" thing overall? I think that's the point you were trying to make and for the most part, I have to wonder a little myself...as I'm a fairly nostalgic guy. I don't have a big collection, but most of it is blued steel and walnut..and not new. However, in the small heap is a couple of Savage rimfires, a Norinco .22, and my most recent rifle purchase~a very snazzy, American-made centerfire with a walnut stock. Spectacular thing, but I'm confident I don't enjoy that rifle more than a Savage Axis owner who gets terrific performance out his "budget" rifle. I appreciate quality, but appreciate value too...and in the case of the A17, am intrigued about the prospect that Savage might have actually gotten this thing right. If the cheesy stock (something Savage specializes in BTW, especially with rimfires) is off-putting, I'm sure an aftermarket stock maker will be more than happy to take your money 6-8 months down the road.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt.rock View Post
    I'd say a .17hm2 in this would be AWESOME!! I think there is too much "pop" in the HMR round for semiauto rimfire designs. Time will tell. Chintzy materials don't necessarily determine performance. But I would certainly pay a premium for a quality design with quality materials. That charging handle needs to be TURFED LIKE MARK HOLLAND
    Indeed....I'd like to see this too. Marlin tried it with the 717, but OOB issues proved to be a reality for that gun too...so it was scrapped. The bolt lock-up on this new A17...that's the ticket from what I'm reading. I'm most interested in hearing whether or not that "lug" in the bolt that locks into the receiver can fail if the rifle gets fouled. Can the bold get dirty enough to compromise it's ability to lock, etc.

Lol we got some Savage snobs in the house.

Salty Knife Nut
    For those interested, Fremen has uploaded more pics and detail on the action and bolt. See post #2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast