Shot Show 2015: Savage A17 .17HMR Rifle / CCI A17 .17HMR Ammo

ceriksson

Salty Knife Nut<br>Moderator
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
One of savages big new offerings for 2015 is their A17 .17HMR Rifle.

It is a semi-auto action with a delayed-blowback action specifically designed for magnum .17HMR cartridges.

Main features:
  • Delayed blowback action
  • Hard Chromed Bolt with dual controlled round feed
  • 10 Round rotary magazine
  • case hardened receiver
  • button rifled barrel
  • adjustable accu-trigger

The rifle handles quite well, decent weight.

I did get to try it out at the range using the ammo that they are also featuring with it (will be posted below). It worked quite well however I did experience a problem feeding a round where the bolt didn't quite catch the lip of the round to chamber and I had to do an IA drill to re-rack the round. It did damage that round by denting the side.

MSRP is $465

Last edited:
Bolt system.

The A17 uses a delayed blow back system.

This is done with a locking lug built into the top of the bolt that drops once the pressure is safe.

Front.jpg
Front

Side.jpg
Side

Top.jpg

The bolt is removed by taking the back cover off using a 1/8th punch.
Once the cover is removed the recoil spring and bolt handle are removed and this allows the bolt to slide out the back of the rifle.

This also allows for easy access when cleaning.

The Rifle uses a 10 round rotary magazine.
I found the mags very easy to load. However as noted above it can be a bit hard to fully seat.

The bolt does lock back on the last round and also feature an automatic bolt release.

I was also told that a heavy BBL version should be in the works as well.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,273
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,272
Last edited:
In conjunction with the rifle, they are also offering a complementary new .17HMR round.

As you would expect, the ammo is called A17.

It is marketed as a high performance .17HMR round that is 100FPS faster than other rounds. (2650Fps)

Last edited:
Looks really good, great price too.

I have always wanted a .17 semi auto. I wonder If my range would allow them on the 25m and/or indoors

The metal finish on that unit looks nice. Wonder what the production units will look like? I can't imagine Savage showing a rifle at SHOT finished the way my (relatively) new FV-SR is. As for the bolt not picking-up a round.. With the number of A17/SHOT Show YouTube vids online now...that gun's barrel likely hasn't had a minute to cool down! :)

Did Ruger not try a semi-auto .17HMR that eventually failed? I would not be surprised if the Savage A17 rifle requires the faster A17 ammo to operate properly: just a speculation on my part, but I figure that bolt weight and spring are tuned to that ammo and it may not work with just any .17HMR on the market.

Time will tell.

If this product was a year or two on the market and known to work with all types of 17HMR I would have bought on instead of the CZ I ordered.

Did Ruger not try a semi-auto .17HMR that eventually failed? I would not be surprised if the Savage A17 rifle requires the faster A17 ammo to operate properly: just a speculation on my part, but I figure that bolt weight and spring are tuned to that ammo and it may not work with just any .17HMR on the market.

Time will tell.

If this product was a year or two on the market and known to work with all types of 17HMR I would have bought on instead of the CZ I ordered.

I don't think a CZ is ever a bad decision. :) I'm not sure if Ruger ever had a 17HMR semi (VQ stuff aside) but Remington offered their 597 in 17HMR for a short period before recalling them. If memory serves, the round could go off "out of battery" cracking the receiver, damaging the mag, or worse. I suspect that's why Savage are stressing that the bolt locks-up on this semi for a split second.

Very nice. The only thing preventing me from buying a .17 is that we are not permitted to use it for small game here which makes no sense to me what so ever as .22 and .22mag are good to go.

Very nice. The only thing preventing me from buying a .17 is that we are not permitted to use it for small game here which makes no sense to me what so ever as .22 and .22mag are good to go.

Sounds like you need to write an educated letter to some decision makers. I assume laws are caliber-based, but if you send them an explanation of the difference between a 177 pellet and a 17HMR/WSM, you may have some luck getting an amendment put in the local laws.

If they allow 22 cal, just send them some charts from reputable sources with muzzle velocity and energy/joules on target, which will provide evidence to why they are better for small game than 22LR. Don't sell out 22 like it shouldn't be allowed, just say 17HMR is not a pellet and is even better than 22.

I don't think a CZ is ever a bad decision. :) I'm not sure if Ruger ever had a 17HMR semi (VQ stuff aside)

Yeah, I did some "Google-foo' and found that Ruger made a 10/17 for awhile. A contributor to Yahoo Answers said, "The problem with the .17HMR is that the manufacturers could not find a happy balance between bolt weight and spring strength to ensure that the bolts would remain in battery long enough to wait out the chamber pressure spike, but still remain light enough to funciton reliably."

Therefor, the Ruger 10/17, Remington 597 and Magnum Research 10/17 were all pulled for the same reasons you state: firing out of battery. No wonder savage states that this rifle must "lock up" for a fraction of a second before cycling the bolt. :runaway:

And no, I believe I will be exceptionally happy with the CZ... but I know if I had seen a year or more or great reviews I would have bought this Savage and missed out on the CZ. :yingyang:

Always wanted a 17.HMR... See how it rules out in terms of Canadian regulations! Would it be non-restricted or restricted? Considering the 10rd mag but again it's a rim fire!

Back
Top Bottom