Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Shot Show: Osprey Armament Mk-36 - M1A/M14 AR Style Rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aries-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKillerV View Post
    I don't like how negatively most people seem to think. This looks to be equivalent to putting the M1A into a different stock. It's clearly the same firearm before and after the "lower" is put on it, so it should be fine.
    On the AR the loaer is the firearm, which is resrricted. This would make a m14 restricted. If they classified it as a ar variant which likely would happen judging by the bad news, and s&w m&p22.

If it looks like an ar lower, but the unterface is different, then I don't see how this would be any different then the non-restricted ATRS Modern Hunter rifle...

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
    From what I understand (and I am happy to be educated differently), in this case it would be the lower that is deemed the "firearm" here in Canada. If that is correct, since the lower is an AR, then it would be restricted. Why then call out others on this thread as being "negative"?
    Well tiriaq has stepped in with his thoughts so I will defer to him. No doubt he is correct so my apologies HKV. But to be honest I would be amazed if it would deemed ok by TPTB to start putting different platforms on AR lowers. I would be the first to cheer if it is so.

Scribe
    You can't stop here. This is bat country.
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
    From what I understand (and I am happy to be educated differently), in this case it would be the lower that is deemed the "firearm" here in Canada. If that is correct, since the lower is an AR, then it would be restricted. Why then call out others on this thread as being "negative"?
    That would be awesome if that happened. If the status goes with the lower, let's slap old H&Rs and TRWs into these things and poof...the receiver is apparently no longer the receiver, so I guess it won't be prohib anymore. Actual M14s for everyone!
    Owning is easy; it's doing that's hard. Remember that advice on the internet often comes from people who own things...but are not especially skilled in their use.

Salty Knife Nut
    As far as I know the internals would be completely different than an AR. It has to work with the M14 Action which is entirely different than an AR. I believe the lower is to make for a AR style grip, trigger, and safety.

The internals would have to be very different as you are working with a vastly different bolt carrier and trigger assembly The lower is to make it look and feel like an AR with the mag well, trigger guard, etc.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by twoguntim View Post
    If it looks like an ar lower, but the unterface is different, then I don't see how this would be any different then the non-restricted ATRS Modern Hunter rifle...
    It doesn't "look like it", it is an AR lower...

Super Moderator
    It isn't an AR lower. It is a chassis to which a M-14 type barrelled action is assembled.
    Legally no different than the Ruger and Mossberg .22s that have conventional barrelled actions assembled in housings that look akin to an AR.
    Without the M-14 type barrelled action, it isn't a firearm, any more than an MDT chassis is a firearm.

But this probally wont be a true ar lower in that there's no way to put a true ar lower on a m14. There probally wont even be serial numbers on these lowers because the upper is the recognized part.If they made these restricted it would have essentially made all m14's restricted.

sorry tiriaq. i was writing while your posting.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ceriksson View Post
    As far as I know the internals would be completely different than an AR. It has to work with the M14 Action which is entirely different than an AR. I believe the lower is to make for a AR style grip, trigger, and safety.

The internals would have to be very different as you are working with a vastly different bolt carrier and trigger assembly The lower is to make it look and feel like an AR with the mag well, trigger guard, etc.
    Makes sense. In that case someone may want to give the Osprey marketing department the heads up on what is PC up here because I don't think they'll have much success selling "AR" anything, sad to say