Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Shot Show: Osprey Armament Mk-36 - M1A/M14 AR Style Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    It's slightly diffrent then any other m14/m1a chassis out there in that it uses a proprietary trigger system....there's shotgun models out there that are "ar lookalikes",have absolutely zero compatibility with any ar 15 parts with the exception of a buttstock,and are still classified as AR varients....yes I know this isint a complete firearm ,( or maybe it is?maybe it requires extensive mods to work with that lower),but it the same logic....looks like an ar....must be an AR...when have we ever agreed with any classification the rcmp has made?

I hope your right and this is sold,and imported as solely a stock and just a bolt on part for a M1a/M14,all im saying is don't get too disappointed when the rcmp decided against that.
    You're right. It's a chassis and trigger. It should bo different than buying a replacement trigger and stock for any other firearm really. So, now I'm waiting to see what happens with the trigger with regard to how the Firearms lab treats it. There is already a precedent in Canada regarding triggers, they're just parts. It's what you do with them that counts. That does not mean the boys and girls at Miramichi won't change their minds about that though...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is another chassis on the market that includes a proprietary trigger that we can refer to, or is there?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboJones View Post
    Unless it's made as a bull pup or manipulates the trigger in such a manor, as to fire two or more consecutive shots with one pull, there is absolutely no reason under current law in Canada why this would not be sold as just a new stock...
    Added the "not", can't edit in this forum...

Super Moderator
    The firearm is the M-14 type rifle at the root of the assembly.
    The add-ons are not a firearm.

Remember when a member here spliced an FN-FAL lower receiver group to an SKS? The thing was still an SKS.

Armedsask's suggestion in post #37 is bang on.

I don' t know if they're marketing both a chassis and a new rifle with the same Mk36 marketing brand or if they changed their product orientation , but these two sites don't sound like simple drop-in chassis.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/02/13...om-arms-mk-36/

https://m.facebook.com/5124041121636...6084005128999/

Note part about 3d printed receiver, garland style bolt, but multiple calibers up to 300wsm, at trigger control components.

Based on above custom new rifle system.

Maybe they realigned to also have drop in chassis, but it started out as more than that.
    If so using the same Mk36 brand may be problematic.

I was just about to post those links.....looks like its an ar styled lower with a modified upper....not so much a drop in.very interested either way.

Love the model there that's uses the original m14 mags.
    It's not that I'm new to this....I'm just an idiot...

Once Proud member of the NFA.now disgruntled and disillusioned and confused.

Super Moderator
    If they are making new receivers, then the thing is a new firearm. At that point, the SFSS would get involved.
    Looking again at the photos posted up top, it very well might be a new, unique receiver, not an adapted pre-existing unit with a shroud.
    In which case concern about classification would be justified.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboJones View Post
    Thank you...

I was just scrolling through and was ready to post something that would probably earn an infraction. I can't believe just how dumb (yet opinionated) some people can be.

Unless it's made as a bull pup or manipulates the trigger in such a manor, as to fire two or more consecutive shots with one pull, there is absolutely no reason under current law in Canada why this would be sold as just a new stock; available to anyone, anywhere.
    My apologies, I took the OP's statement "It is a AR lower for a M1A." at face value. I won't be so "stupid" as to do that again.

I'm not negative about it. I really hope it makes it in to Canada. But I really doubt it will. When you think of ARs in Canada. The lower is the firearm. The upper isn't considered anything other than parts. So if you took the lower of this "Chassis" (which has no serial number), and were able to get an AR-10 upper to function with it, then you have an un-serialized AR-10. The RCMP would have a hay day with this. It'll just open up a can of worms. The reason the Alberta Tactical Modern hunter is non-restricted, even though it looks like an AR-10 and uses 80% AR parts, is because there is no way to attach it's receivers to any AR-10 lower or upper receivers. Is uses proprietary receivers that only mate to each other. They won't mate up with any other receiver. Even if you managed to do it, it probably won't fire because of the modifications needed to accomplish it.
    KMATDCS

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    If they are making new receivers, then the thing is a new firearm. At that point, the SFSS would get involved.
    Looking again at the photos posted up top, it very well might be a new, unique receiver, not an adapted pre-existing unit.
    In which case concern about classification would be justified.

I think your dead on there....looks like that upper is a completely new reciever,that's uses the m1a bolt,barrel and gas assembly,so that standard AR Fire control parts will work....I could see this being a classification nightmare with the rcmp.
    It's not that I'm new to this....I'm just an idiot...

Once Proud member of the NFA.now disgruntled and disillusioned and confused.

Super Moderator
    Well, the MH cleared classification. There is a good chance that this one will, too. The MH has a LOT more in common with the AR than this rifle does.
    A chassis like this that would accept a M305 upper would be a strong seller in this market.