Thread: 2015 Shot Show: Garmins 2015 Wrist worn GPS and smart watches

Salty Knife Nut

2015 Shot Show: Garmins 2015 Wrist worn GPS and smart watches

I stopped by the Garmin booth to ask the rep what was new in the hunting and hiking realm and he directed me over to the wrist worn devices which are new for this year.

The first is the Garmin EPIX

Basically the EPIX is a wrist based map navigable GPS. It has a 1.4" Screen where you can display map and other GPS data common across many of the handheld line but on a smaller screen and worn as a watch. I was quite impressed with the clarity of the screen and resolution of the image given the smaller size.

Features:
    • 1.4" High Resolution Touch Screen
    • Stainless Steel EXO Antenna - Dual GPS and GLONASS reception
    • Worldwide Shaded relief basemap - Regional TOPO 100K map preloaded (on some versions)
    • 8 GB Internal Memory
    • Compatible with TOPO24k and Birdseye Satellite Imagery
    • Full Outdoor Navigation Features: 3-axis compass, Barometric Altimeter, Tracks, and Waypoints
    • Connect IQ to download additional apps

MSRP is $499.99

The next is the FENIX 3 Lineup.

It comes in three models: Sapphire, Light, and Dark, all of which are almost same with variations in colour, Lens and band. The only exception is the sapphire model which has a sapphire extra hard scratch resistant lens and a steel link wristband. The Light and Dark are more colour variations and have a Latex Band. The dark being a blacked out watch, and the light being a more sporty look.

They are designed more to compete with watches like the Suunto that many of us are familiar with as opposed to the EPIX

I was looking at this with a couple of other guys who are Suunto wearers and they were really blown away with these. They have an amazing resolution for the digital display. You really can't make out the pixels. They are really easy to use and are not bulky. If I were to go looking for an outdoor smart watch I would consider one of these over the Suunto line.

Features:

• Sapphire Model - Sapphire Lens, Strong Steel Linked Wristband
    • 1.2" Colour Sunlight Readable Chroma Display
    • Stainless Steel EXO Dual GPS/GLONASS Receiver
    • Full Fitness Training Features: HR, VO2 Max, Recovery Advisor
    • Full Outdoor Nav Features: 3-Axis Compass, Barometric Altimeter, Tracks, and Waypoints
    • Smart Capabilities: Smart Notification, Connect IQ, Garmin Connect, Garmin Mobile

MSRP:
    Sapphire: $599.99
    Light and Dark: $499.99

Sapphire: plus some screen shots of various pages on the device (this is the same across all models)

Dark:

Light:

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    Looks like Garmin is stepping up their game this year! The Fenix line were solid performers but definity in need of a facelift. The addition of the GLONASS receiver is a pretty cool addition as well.

now thats a smart watch id actually own
    If Canada banned guns in 1812 and it was not for armed volunteers we would be saying the pledge of allegiance right now. Call me a true Canadian but I believe the annual day we burned the white house down should be a paid holiday.

The epix i could see being very useful! cool thing to look at would want to see one first hand!

Too bad the battery life won't last long.
    "Any idiot can piss on the floor, but it takes a real hero to sh!t on the ceiling." - Maclean Maclean

Additionally those Garmin sit like 3" off your wrist.. way to high of a profile. Sunnto is still the one to own.

What is the battery life on these things?

BANNED
    Any idea about battery life/charge times on these?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Botox View Post
    Additionally those Garmin sit like 3" off your wrist.. way to high of a profile. Sunnto is still the one to own.
    3" eh? Pics to prove it? Wearing a SUNNTO (if the lighting is JUST right allowing you to read the screen) is approx. the circumframe of an XL pizza!!!