2015 SHOT Show: 28 Nosler cartridge

tootall

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Last year, ( SHOT 2014 ), this reporter covered the release of the first cartridge to carry the name Nosler.
That was the 26 Nosler. http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-2014-SHOT-SHOW-AMMO-new-cartridges-new-loads

lmC0o4f.jpg

The 26 Nosler is a large case driving a .265" or 6.5mm bullet.

This year, they have added another cartridge to the Nosler clan.
The new one is the 28 Nosler, with a .284" or 7mm bullet.
As with the 26, the 28 is tremendously fast.

GJxjMOk.jpg

hW2bmpw.jpg

JHGpBhm.jpg

YWMyLCg.jpg

With the 175 grain ABLR load at the velocity indicated it stays supersonic to approximately 1900 yards! This could be quite the cartridge for long range shooting.

sighted in at 400 yd, seems silly to me, a quick shot at 200yd, you're likely to miss (whoa buck fever...!)
I hope their not recommending to the general populace to shoot at game out to 1900 yards! That's a 1 out of 100 guys type of shot!
Nice specs nevertheless!

I find both the 26 Nosler and the 28 Nosler extremely inefficient. Here is why:

With 46 grains of H###x powder, I can launch the 130 AB out of the 23" barrel of my 260 Rem at 3,000 fps. The 26 Nosler will need over double that amount of powder for just 10% more velocity and in a 26" barrel.

With 63 grains of IMR###x, I can launch a 150 grain out of my 25" barrel of the 280 AI at 3,225 fps. Again, the 28 Nosler would require 50% more powder for about 10% more velocity and out of a 26" barrel.

I have nothing against these newbies and actually like to see them invest in new cartridges. However, the slight velocity edge makes no difference in hunting within ethical ranges and creates a heavier/longer rig with more recoil.

My 0.2 cents and I rarely post anything!

I've got a Remington Big Seven. :dancingbanana:

Anyone remember these?:confused:

1962 and still going strong. My first brand hammer new rifle centerfire 35 years ago.:dancingbanana:

The old M70 with a 24" tube will push 175BT out at 3000+ and accurately. Not sure what barrel life would be with a steady diet. Sporters are for sporting, that one downing shot for meat or horns.

I've never clocked the 160's, used the rifle more or less for a go to moose rifle only. I'm guessing if I loaded up a max safe charge behind a 160gr, I'd be getting close to 3150, and add 2" of barrel like most new "super magnums" need to achieve their screaming velocities exposing their very extreme inefficiencies, ..I'd get 3250!!!!

Can anyone say overbore?

So what's all the hype!! Even I have to admit of how inefficient my Big7 is to the lowly 7mm-08 when the latter can get my 24" tube as well. So if you don't reload, got money hanging out your azz, and just got to have the biggest #### with factory fodder, a .28 Nosler was built just for you precious.

Maybe we all need some fresh fashion on the racks for summer.:p:p

I thought most got renewed vigor for radar shooting with the WSM's and the RUM's.

I've got some ammo laying around here for a secret experimental new magnumcartridge that will be released next year, the box says .300H&H:confused::confused:,..just need to wait for a rifle in the new chambering, probably will be able to take down a moose looking at that nasty looking case.........

Gun works already made the 7LRM and the Hornady brass out of Prophet River isn't $4 a piece. 180s at 3150. Way less powder, longer neck, and less of a barrel torch. The answer to a question no one asked. It is just a slightly shortened 7 RUM. Already all the choices you need:

.280/.280AI
7 Rem Mag
7 LRM
7RUM

Gun works already made the 7LRM and the Hornady brass out of Prophet River isn't $4 a piece. 180s at 3150. Way less powder, longer neck, and less of a barrel torch. The answer to a question no one asked. It is just a slightly shortened 7 RUM. Already all the choices you need:

.280/.280AI
7 Rem Mag
7 LRM
7RUM

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom