Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 SHOT Show: 28 Nosler cartridge

2015 SHOT Show: 28 Nosler cartridge

Last year, ( SHOT 2014 ), this reporter covered the release of the first cartridge to carry the name Nosler.
    That was the 26 Nosler. http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...dges-new-loads

The 26 Nosler is a large case driving a .265" or 6.5mm bullet.

This year, they have added another cartridge to the Nosler clan.
    The new one is the 28 Nosler, with a .284" or 7mm bullet.
    As with the 26, the 28 is tremendously fast.

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Note the height of trajectory when sighted as recommended at 400 yds. 7" or more. That's too much IMO. Should be sighted at 350 maybe less.
    Bush hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    Note the height of trajectory when sighted as recommended at 400 yds. 7" or more. That's too much IMO. Should be sighted at 350 maybe less.
    That does seem excessive.
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone

CGN Regular
    I highly doubt that the the new 142 gr ABLR that is supposed to open @1800 yard! at only 1300 fps will hold together close range ~3300 fps...

With the 175 grain ABLR load at the velocity indicated it stays supersonic to approximately 1900 yards! This could be quite the cartridge for long range shooting.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    With the 175 grain ABLR load at the velocity indicated it stays supersonic to approximately 1900 yards! This could be quite the cartridge for long range shooting.
    expect that I would feel like shooting gold - just the brass would be like $4+ a piece...

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    Yeah, stretching things quite a bit to claim a long MPBR.
    I write on huntinggearguy.com

sighted in at 400 yd, seems silly to me, a quick shot at 200yd, you're likely to miss (whoa buck fever...!)
    I hope their not recommending to the general populace to shoot at game out to 1900 yards! That's a 1 out of 100 guys type of shot!
    Nice specs nevertheless!
    "You can get more done with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone." ~ Al Capone
    CSAAA ADFGA

I find both the 26 Nosler and the 28 Nosler extremely inefficient. Here is why:

With 46 grains of Hxxxx powder, I can launch the 130 AB out of the 23" barrel of my 260 Rem at 3,000 fps. The 26 Nosler will need over double that amount of powder for just 10% more velocity and in a 26" barrel.

With 63 grains of IMRxxxx, I can launch a 150 grain out of my 25" barrel of the 280 AI at 3,225 fps. Again, the 28 Nosler would require 50% more powder for about 10% more velocity and out of a 26" barrel.

I have nothing against these newbies and actually like to see them invest in new cartridges. However, the slight velocity edge makes no difference in hunting within ethical ranges and creates a heavier/longer rig with more recoil.

My 0.2 cents and I rarely post anything!

CGN Regular
    Nosler's idea is to claim "the best of the best" and then sell ammo and components (and rifles) at obscene prices...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast