Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Shot Show: GA Precision Tempest Action

2015 Shot Show: GA Precision Tempest Action

GA Precision is launching a new action called the GAP Tempest. This action is made for them by Horizon Machine. It is currently only available as a short right-hand action. THey will be releasing a left hand version and eventually long action versions. 308 and Saum/WSM boltface are currently available. The bolts are a one piece 3 lug, 60 deg bolt throw design with a recessed bolt lugs. This mean that the action doe not have any raceways, which makes it significantly easier to manufacture. It features a long barrel tennon and an intragal recoil lug. The action is 100% drop in for Remington 700 stocks and chassis. The feedlips are cut to accept AI AW mags. This action will not work with AICS mags.

On this action, GAP decided not to go with an integral picatinni rail because of problems many people are having mounting some of the scopes with longer eye relief. Many of these scopes require the front ring to be forward of the recoil lug. Badger Ordnance has released a line of cantilevered unimounts to address this issue. Extended scope rails will be on the final version of the Tempest action, and will extend approximately 1.5-2" beyond the face of the action. This will move the scope sufficiently forward and will still allow it do me mounted low. The shortest unimounts still put the center of the scope 1.3" above the rail, which is higher that many shooters would like. The action uses standard Remington 700 triggers. However, it mounts the trigger with a trigger hanger bracket that allows the trigger to be swapped out in the field with a simple hex key.

The action is very smooth and very fast. See George's video at the bottom.

[youtube]nxFn6VPOP-8[/youtube]

Thanks to Bill Tompkins of GA Precision for supplying me with some supplementary pictures of the action.

Update: Bill Tompkins send me a few more pictures to shot how the breech ring works.

Last edited by kombayotch; 03-26-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Do you know if they will be coming out with a single shot version? Would make a nice ftr action
    Velocity is the girl the boys want to date
    BUT
    accuracy is the one to marry for a lifetime!!!!

I doubt GA Precision has any plans for a single shot version.

CGN Regular
    That could be the coolest thing I have seen out of Shot yet! Fantastic. Makes me want to start another build without my current one even being done yet. GA for the win!

I have two Surgeon 591/McMillan A5 builds in progress and all I can think about is how I should have waited and gotten these with Manners Elites...

Is there a price on these?
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left." - Bertrand Russell

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    I have two Surgeon 591/McMillan A5 builds in progress and all I can think about is how I should have waited and gotten these with Manners Elites...
    Makes me want to sell my Pierce build to fund one of these in a 7wsm. Where did you get Surgeons?

Actions will be around $1200 ($1100 if they are building your rifle).

I got the Surgeons from ### International. He didn't expect to get any more in...
    Last edited by kombayotch; 02-02-2015 at 08:59 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    Actions will be around $1200 ($1100 if they are building your rifle).

I got the Surgeons from ### International. He didn't expect to get any more in...
    $1200 would be a great price for those. I hope that is what the hit the market at. I think I paid about $1050 for my Pierce, my Defiance 338 just hit me at $1550, but I got nailed at 15% for the dollar dropping to.

I like that as a mod you can post he who shall not be named without have to encode it
    Last edited by kombayotch; 02-02-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Opps!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schecter 81 View Post
    $1200 would be a great price for those. I hope that is what the hit the market at. I think I paid about $1050 for my Pierce, my Defiance 338 just hit me at $1550, but I got nailed at 15% for the dollar dropping to.

I like that as a mod you can post he who shall not be named without have to encode it

Baha, that is some funny *&$% right there! You make me laugh. I am loving following your threads, informative and entertaining!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast