Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 SHOT show: AirForce big bore air rifle .457 cal PCP

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    I wonder how temperature sensitive it is?

Deer hunting season in Georgia is one thing compared to deer hunting season in Saskatchewan. (October-November)
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Pure Energy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I wonder how temperature sensitive it is?

Deer hunting season in Georgia is one thing compared to deer hunting season in Saskatchewan. (October-November)
    Using 100% compressed nitrogen should offset the temperature differences vs just compressed air.

Quote Originally Posted by Proutfoo
    having your picture in the paper with a medal around your neck holding a folding stock, pistol-gripped, shotgun with mag extension is a feat in itself

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Energy View Post
    You would need a pretty expensive compressor for 3000 PSI. I don't think a bike pump is going to cut it. Maybe off a scuba tank if you are a diver.
    Oh yeah, you're definitely right about that, I think there's some kind of portable pump you can get though, there's a guy at my grandpa's gun club that shoots a pcp airgun sometimes and I'm sure he doesn't use a compressor to refill his tank. I just googled it, "The hill" pump came up, it looks just like a bike pump, it's got a guage that goes up to 3500 psi though. Interesting. What did they use to refill it when you tried it at SHOT, Tootall?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson 1791
    Do something today that your future self will thank you for.

AirForce have produced some nice PCP rifles, up until now they generally offered smaller caliber rifles. There new .45 caliber is very interesting.

To answer some of the questions posted here, although it's a different rifle, I've owned a Jack Haley .457" caliber PCP air rifle for several years now.

You can top the air tank up with an air rifle specific pump, but it's a lot of work. My JH likes to be filled up to around 3600 psi, so a carbon fibre Airhog 88 cu/ft air tank is much more convenient when at the range, etc. The tank can be filled by most dive shops, paint ball stores or places that fill the likes of Scott packs.

My JH gets approx. 5-6 max. power/lethal shoots before it falls off below 3000 psi. A top up from the large tank takes a minute or so.

When taking such a rifle hunting, most guys use a smaller air tank, which with a full fill, will top up the rifle about 3 times. I've only used compressed air in my rifle, as I only shoot it in the warmer weather, but nitrogen would be great for cold weather if you have a large tank to fill from.

These things produce incredible power and are very accurate. I've shot my 'pellet gun' out to 200 yards and can keep my shots on the target at these ranges. I've found the best 'pellet' that provides a flatter trajectory but still carries a lot of energy is a 340 gr hollow point I cast. I've shot 225 - 505 gr 'pellets' out of my JH.

Guys in the US use these big bore air guns to shoot deer, wild pigs and I've seen posts with guys taking fairly large African game with them, the likes of water buffalo, etc.

They are basically the same as using a large bore black powder rifle, without the black powder and the muzzle blast/noise that goes with it. My JH sounds like an air powered framing nail gun when standing 15 - 20 feet away.

Here is a short video of one of my sons shooting my JH. Which to other air gun folks, looks like a Crosman 160 on steroids!

http://vid277.photobucket.com/albums...01104-1751.mp4
    NFA Member

I've got an airforce rifle in .22 and it's a lot of fun. It's got a good ban for an air rifle but still quiet compared to a .22. Very accurate and gets around 50+ shots on a tank of air. The hand pump is a pain in the ass, takes forever but you can get the scuba tank adaptor to fill it up. It would be nice if you could get a bigger paintball air tank to work on them but the way the valve is made on these it would be impossible to make it work. I bet this 45 cal would be a hoot
    Insert list of guns you own here:
    (Who needs a registry if everyone advertises what they own)

Scrap Bill C-68

Quote Originally Posted by Jake1911 View Post
    Oh yeah, you're definitely right about that, I think there's some kind of portable pump you can get though, there's a guy at my grandpa's gun club that shoots a pcp airgun sometimes and I'm sure he doesn't use a compressor to refill his tank. I just googled it, "The hill" pump came up, it looks just like a bike pump, it's got a guage that goes up to 3500 psi though. Interesting. What did they use to refill it when you tried it at SHOT, Tootall?
    I believe they were using a large Scuba tank to refill the small tank that makes up the buttstock.

I would say the easiest method for HPA filling would be the use of a scuba tank. I used to do this all the time when I played paintball. You could use a nitrogen bottle also.

BANNED
    I would still like to know how stable and consistent the shots would be in bitter cold. May I ask did it have what felt like a nice crisp mechanical trigger or more like that found on air rifles where it's very long drawn out trigger pull. Cause if You can't get the trigger crisp it's useless

CGN frequent flyer
    There's a couple of posts up about the gun on http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ckc123's Avatar
    anyone know if someone has successfully imported this into Canada (as a non-restricted obviously)
    -------------------------
    Guns don't kill people. Ninjas do
    "Using the law to bludgeon people into being nicer, that's Bull$hit" - Penn Jillette

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast